Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

RS 5000 Version Control

16 posts in this topic

Ok I've gotten settled in a bit with RS 5000 software, I must say I am pretty stupid for not jumping on the tag based memory long ago, that's some pretty sweet stuff and now that it's had a chance to sink into my brain a bit, I can see where it can really speed up programming. I've been reading a bit here: RSLogix5000 Common Procedures, BTY nice reference...however it doesn't mention anything about version control. What are the limitation of versions? For example, I see version 16.0 is out for RS 5K. But my PLCs I think are version 13 something. Can I download and install 16 on my laptop and still program a version 13 PLC? Should I upgrade the CPU to 16? Can you do that? How does the upgrading (CPU flashing) work? Need a quick crash course on firmware basics with compact logix.

One rule of the Logix Platform is that for PLC processors you have to use the same version of the software and the firmware,for eg if you have V13 firmware loaded in your Logix CPU then you should program it in RSLogix 5K V13 ,if firmware 15 then software RSLogix 5K V15 and so on You can upgrade the firmware with a utility called as ControlFlash from Rockwell which is downloadable from the Rockwell/Allen-Bradley website. Look for a processor/module specific download file and you are all set to upgrade the firmware of the CPU,but there are some precautions to be taken while performing a Firmware upgrade, the first and foremost precaution is that there should not be a power failure while doing a firmware upgrade,next precaution is that there should not be a communication failure while doing the upgrade or you may end up "BRICKING" your controller . I generally prefer to do a firmware upgrade with a UPS supply and through EtherNET as it is a fast procedure and generally gets completed within 2-3 minutes with less chances of failure,the upgradation of the PLC firmware through onboard serial ports found on CLX,FLX and CPLX should be avoided as the data transfer is very slow and may take sometimes upto half an hour which may increase the frustration in you and also there are more chances of the PLC getting Bricked( If ever you upgrade through the serial port then make sure your laptop/desktop doesn't go into Sleep mode as in some computers the serial port is shutoff when the computer goes into sleep mode which may trigger a communication failure) CompactLogix is nowadays a part of the Compact Machine solutions newly introduced by Rockwell and the version 16 includes many enhancements like AOI's , Drive faceplates etc which speed up your programming and minimize use of other extra softwares. So wish you a very happy Flashing Regards Nilesh Surya

So the ControlLogix doesn't have a memory module socket that you can use for the upgrade, like on a SLC? That's a pity. I'm always afraid of an OOPS when using a computer running windows to perform a flash memory upgrade. Nothing improves the chances for success like removing the computer from the equation entirely!

just found out a good topic which is worth discussing in this thread its located in the Rockwell Automation Knowledge base titled "Using a 1784-CF64 Card with Logix Controllers to Load Applications and Firmware." Its ID is 34534 and prev TN# is G149027134 Take a look at it people if possible Regards Nilesh Surya

One of your questions was regarding the different versions of RSLogix 5000. One nice feature is that you can have multiple versions of RSLogix on the same computer. For example, I currently have versions 13, 15, and 16 on my computer. When opening a program offline, or going online, RSLogix knows which version is needed and automatically opens it.

Don't forget to check this link RSLogix5000 Firmware Updates Control logix really likes matching firmware versions for the cards also I find using the right software version usefull I run V12, V13, V15 and V16 all at the same time

What processors are you working with? Processors such as the Controllogix 1756-L1, Compactlogix 1769-L20 and L30, etc were the original version of the Logix 5000 processors and have been obsoleted for some time. These processors are not supported after version 13. This could be the reason for your processors and programs being revision 13. http://www.twcontrols.com/index.php?option...7&Itemid=34

Ok so can you do this. Have a OLD CPU that was written in V13. Install a new CPU that supports V16, and convert your V13 project into a V16 project? How do you go about doing that?

You can have all versions from V10 up installed on your PC. If you installed V13 from the distribution CD, you would have had the option to "install all previous versions" which would have installed V10, V11, and V12 along with V13. The downloaded installation files are usually just one version. Also included on the CD's is the "ControlFlash" utility plus firmware files along with various other useful 'tools'.

Where is the best place to look for the version? I just went to HELP, ABOUT RS LOGIX and it said version 13. Is that how everyone checks?

Easiest for me is controller properties then revision This allows me to check the PLC minor revision at the same time to know if a controlflash upgrade is needed

use About option in help menu

not only upgrade, downgrade is also possible using contolflash in some time

One thing not mentioned is that each new version takes up slightly more overhead. IF your V13 CPU has very little free memory then V16 is probably a bad idea and might not fit.

Yes but if you got the memory, the Addin instructions are well worth it Also I want to stress what Bob is saying about the RsLinx file. Don't freak when you get done flashing your hardware and RsLinx no longer recognizes the device. This is when most people think they have bricked a module. It's not bricked, chances are your downloaded the latest firmware off the internet and your RsLinx, perhaps even the latest version, doesn't recognize it. Go download the latest EDS files for the hardware you have flashed. Chances are this is all that's wrong http://www.ab.com/networks/eds.html

This only tells you what version of RSLogix is running, although if you have a project open, then it must be the same major revision. When you start up RSLogix, there is a line at the bottom of the splash screen that lists all the versions you have installed on your PC.