Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddevins

RIO Conversion Question

10 posts in this topic

Hello Again, I have a new app here is the office not started up yet but is complete and working. SLC 5/04 and PV+ 1000 communicating DH+. Custormer wants it changed to RIO. We can use same PV+---only chamges I think are in PLC and RSView program. Have the BTW and BTR complete. Is there any simple fast organized way to make all other changes on PV addresses and PLC addresses?? I can go thru them and do it---just thought someone has done this before an easy method. Glad customer has lots of money to do this. Thanks for looking.

Hi ddevins why you need to do that tag configuration in DH+ will be simple , Neat , No extra programming required & easy to trouble-shoot

Your customer is being silly! RIO makes the whole application more complex - and not just because it's not native to the SLC.

this is called reversed engineering

Someone must have scared them into believeing that the panelview has to be on a deterministic network.. I can't see any other "advantage" to that. Everything else that has been said is true.. IMHO, RIO is fine for racks of I/O cards, but really kinda sucks for a panelview.

Yeah, basic program and PV screens and tags. Was done and working in the office and now we have to change. This involves multiple panels and systems. I cannot find any fast easy way to make changes so guess I will drag theru it til done.

Using RIO will let the PLC program detect a loss of comms to the touchscreen as a rack fault and make disabling the system easier for the PLC programmer (determinism as mentioned above). I still would not put safety critical buttons on a RIO panelview though. In addition, RIO will force you to have an organized tag database; you won't be able to scatter the communications all over the data tables of the SLC like you could with DH+, so communications can be more efficient. At least if you want to feel like there is a good reason to do it, you could say this... Chances are good that you were already neatly organized in your DH+ setup, though, and in that case I completely agree that RIO is an unnecessary pain in the butt. It was hard enough to set up communications via RIO with a standard panelview (with the uniquely sized block transfers, copying integers to floats, strings etc...) I can only imagine what a headache it will be in RSViewME...

Having worked with several RIO Panelviews, let me suggest that you create an Excel Spreadsheet to track your tags. I usually have columns for description, PLC Address, Rack Group Module of Xfer, PV address. This will come in handy for troubleshooting.

I'm creating an Excel spreadsheet as I read this message. It works now but I'm sure I'll miss a tag when converting to RIO or be a line off somewhere si I want to be able to find it without the extreme grief. Thanks for the idea and time to respond.

Hello Everyone, Hope you all have a good and safe weekend. Just in case anyone gets bored or rained out this weekend, I have posted a spreadsheet and .RSS for my conversion project from DH+ to RIO. If you look at profgram file 16 for the BTW and BTR, The spreadsheet shows DH+ addressing in column W and my conversion in column Z. Am I on the right track???? Thanks to all. L3_RIO.RSS L3_rio.xls