Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sleepy Wombat

WARNING - MS at it again

7 posts in this topic

VISTA Upgrader beware...... (OR Another reason not to upgrade to VISTA) Vista is not shipped with or even includes HYPERTERMINAL..... Hyperterminal - the comfort rag when testing and debugging serial comm;s not included ... They give no reason and suggest that a TELNET program can enable you to connect computers ... well I have news for you MS idiots... I NEED SERIAL COMM'S.. TELNET is for connecting 2 computers with IP's etc... You can download a "private use" version of Hyperterminal however...

Sleepy have you tried copying hyperterm.exe from your XP box to your vista box. It might just run and then again it might not. After all it is a PC not a MAC.

Bob, thanks for the suggestion..... My post was a general info for poeples... I read it some where and wanted to publish the warning... There is no way that I would get a comp with VISTA at the moment until all of the bugs were ironed out and it become more friendly.. Yes .. I love those Hi PC... Im a MAC i don;t need that commercials... Have you seen the latest Apple I-Product... i'll attach the video launch.. New_Apple_I_Product.zip

Vista sure is something else. My new laptop shipped with it. Looks good, but who cares? Network browsing isn't nearly so bad as XP, better indexed searching works well. Lots of annoying things in where settings are placed/moved, specifically if you disable various network adapters (wired, wireless, and broadband). They're easy to disable, but then the icons magically disappear and become hard to bring back. Lots to get used to. My vote would have been to roll these (non-GUI) modern upgrades into XP - but then how would M$ make their money? It's not like they have the market cornered. As another annoying aside, RSLinx doesn't seem to work in Vista. I'll check on a new version. I'm wondering why Microsoft doesn't seem to care that their constant API changes place a burden on developers and users. Oh well...I'm sure everyone will be using Vista before TOO long...sigh...one step forward, two steps backward. At least they're fueling the hardware market. Edited by Nathan

My new desktop at home has VISTA. I rapidly determined VISTA is equivalent to the opening of a large powerful air moving device. I had 9 programs that wanted priority start up RIGHT NOW. It took me 2 hours to get word to work. Seems I had to have a MSN or hotmail email account to get the necessary codes. then excell set up a bit easier. What I really enjoyed was the pre-installed NORTON crashed the system when I attempted to set it up. Fortunately I had just set a restore point so all of my previous work was not lost. I highly recommend if you have VISTA, before you install any software, set a restore point first. I had about 14 hours sorting out VISTA out. I will say most of the menus and windows are more use friendly, my wife can use it easier than XP and likes the new system. She cannot understand what I did not like about it. VISTA can and will cause internet connection and router set up issues. I attempted to install a router with wireless so I can use my new NON VISTA laptop anywhere at home. After 2 hours on the phone with linksys, we determined the cable modem was not connecting. There are DNS issues and gateway issues. I will try to remember to post what was necessary to solve these items.

The good thing is that at most of the plants I've ever been in, the shop electricians are usually the last to get a computer upgrade. After the receptionist has been upgraded twice, and the bosses don't have any more kids or grandkids to give computers to, then they'll give one to the shop. Many of the PLC programming machines I see regularly are still running Windows 98 and 2000. Personally I use VMware and I set up a machine with Windows 2000 (no stupid activation and genuine validation problems with virtual machines) and I use copies of that virtual machine for all my PLC machines.

hyperterminal is TRASH compared to this tool: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=575 Try it, you'll never go back....for serial debugging...