Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevinprior

New Laptop

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I am looking to replace my laptop and wonder if anybody has any they could recommend. It would have to still have a serial port and be compatable with the rockwell PCMK card for DH+ / RIO. I am finding it difficult to find a new one with the serial port, I don't want to use a USB - serial adaptor as they look to cause too much heart ache. Thanks

see this post http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30403

Dell D820. Nice machine. http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...;l=en&s=bsd

Dell Dimension 620 & 820 are both good choices. Just make sure it's Windows XP Pro SP2 and not Vista. AB doesn't support Vista yet. I have a Gateway 7400 and dearly miss my old serial port. I support a lot of SLC 5/03's so I bought the 1747-UIC (USB to DH-485) converter and it's ok. HTH!

Get a Panasonic Toughbook.. you'll never go back :) Make sure to get a fully ruggedized one though.. CF29/30. They also have "semi-rugged" models that IMHO aren't worth it

I've had a look at the toughbooks, they look the business. But I almost fell off my chair when I found out the price.

Yeah, I hear ya.. That's why I'm always a generation or two behind the latest. I pick them up used on ebay. I'm just now moving up from a CF27 to a 28.

Go for a Dell D820 you wont look back, try and get 2Gb of memory with a 120GB HDD though.

Don't worry about not having a com port. I've been without one for years and once you get used to the UIC module its a non-issue. Biggest thing in my opinion with laptops....consider the size. Will you travel alot? Will you be doing long start-ups with your laptop? Will you have a desktop to do the majority of your design work? My laptop is a 17" Gateway. I've got it on a stand, then work with a full normal USB keyboard. Its a bit heavy to travel with, but you get used to it. Its nice to have a big screen for doing HMI work, not to mention autoCAD.