Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Slapshot

Software

5 posts in this topic

This is crazy, and Rockwell will probably hunt me down and make me work for them but oh well!! I just had a discussion with some of my compadres. Someone believes that there is software out there, of a generic nature, that can access and program SLC 504 and such. I use the RSLogix500 and of course it works great. Is there anyone who can cast some rays of validity to this claim.

File this one under Fiction, alphabetized by author. APS, AI-500, and RSLogix 500 are the only programming packages that have ever been available for the Allen-Bradley SLC-500 programmable controllers.

Hold on, Ken. In every myth, there is a kernel of Truth: Once upon a time, as these stories go, there were two companies. Allen-Bradley made the SLC processor, and sold some software to program it called APS ("Advanced Programming Softfware") There was also an independant company, ICOM, which also sold software, AI, to program the SLC. ICOM even created a Windows-based program for programming PLCs ("Wintelligent" - it was lousy. I used it. ONCE.) The two companies lived together, but seperately, in peace and harmony. Most programmers perferred ICOM over APS. It was rumored that ICOM had even written the kernal to APS for AB, before taking the interface to a non-6200-like design. Then along came the big wolf (we'll leave the good/bad value judgements alone for now), who gobbled up the two companies in one hugh gulp, created Rockwell Softwware, and spit out RSLogix. Rockwell Automation has allowed the name Allen Bradley to live on. ICOM is gone. But not forgotten, entirely, by Slapshot's companions. The end.

Great story Allen....*wiped a tear from my eye*

Yeah, great story. Any wanting to know more check out Rockwell site, they normally have a comapny history and should include when they bought over A-B.