Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

First Compact Logix Look (RS 5000)

68 posts in this topic

Read Gerry's post again: PLC3 only! He never mentiond PLC5s With PLC5 and SLC you can put coils in parallel only, as many as you want. Edited by Contr_Conn

I guess I can live with the multiple outputs in series. AS LONG AS THEY'RE ON THE RIGHT. The first time I get called in to troubleshoot a program that has outputs interspersed with inputs, i'm hangin' it up

Go on now Gravitar - where's your sense of adventure.

Thanks Gerry - Some of us have worked so much with PLC 5 SLC 500 we forget the PLC2, PLC 3 SLC 150 era.

What is the advantage of such concept? Maybe I'm missing something, but don't see any.

You and a lot of other people and recent version of 5000 allows for forced timing of input and output to prevent this problem.

Yes, but what is the initial idea behind the I/O refresh asychronous with scan?

In a traditional PLC, all the I/O pretty much updates at the same time. With the newer controllers, you schedule the RPI of each module, that way critical I/O can be updated at faster rates than non-critical. You can also set the discrete modules to update at any change. All this can be used for update/response critical applications.

First off, this is another one of those things that is not new. Many AB systems have had asynchronous I/O scans - generally associated with remote I/O. The 1774 (PLC1), PLC3, and PLC5/250 used remote I/O exclusively and had asynchronous scans. The PLC2 and PLC5 had combinations of local and remote I/O - the local I/O was scanned synchronously and the remote I/O asynchronously. (Ron B. begs to differ regarding the PLC5 - I concede there may be a difference between the 'classic' and 'new platform' versions). What's new in ControlLogix is the local I/O is also asynchronous. As for why - I can only guess. The speed of the remote I/O networks prior to ControlNet and ethernet was such that it was quite conceivable for the processor to be able to complete multiple program scans in the time taken for a complete I/O update. Suspending the program scan to wait for a complete I/O update, particularly on large systems, would make the system seem sluggish by comparison with one where the program executed continuously and received I/O changes as they occurred.

I'm living in the world of the RB module this week. That's about as adventuresome as I get :)

Chako....Try this neat ability with the Compact/Control Logix processors. Example: connect to the Logix processor with PC "A" and then connect to the same processor with PC "B". Edit the program online with "A"....watch "B" correlate the change automatically. Nice tool for correlation to a maint. pc while remotely connected thru a VPN. The motion commands in 5000 are a welcomed perk, (say when bundled with drive systems such as a PowerFlex, sercos Ultra 3000, etc.) The CompactLogix was was slow in delivering built-in motion, but it has arrived with the new 1768 platform. The ability to click, drag and drop tag names imported from the processor into an HMI application like RSView ME is a "hunt-n-peck" typist's saving grace. The GENERIC ETHERNET configuration is a convenient and simple means of communicating to remote fieldbus items (Turck, Wago, Siemens, RedLion DSP, HMS Anybus, etc.) as well as vision sensors (Banner, Cognex, DVT, etc.) The CPT function is NICEEEEE as well as being able to utilize a CompactLogix backplane to channel to other devices. We couple the CompactLogix L32E/L35E with PV+ and 1734-AENT devices on a majority of our small to midsized projects and save quite a few dollars over a comparable SLC 5/05 system, not to mention the programming time is cut nearly in half. All this praise from someone, as you know, who is NOT an A-B fan must be worth something..... My word...I cannot believe I just did a sales job for Kirby-Risk. The end must be near!

Anyone knows how to get an I/O listing from RSLogix5000 ? Just a simple Local:4.I.data.0 - pushbutton A, and so on.

Tools>>>>>Export>>>>select ALL for Tags: and Logic Comments: This will create a comma delimited file that you can open in Excel. Example below:

Hey 5150, could you elaberate on the part where you say, drag and drop tags to HMI I am VERY interested in this, but don't quite understand what you mean.

With the Logix platform and RSView Studio, one can create buttons, indicators, inputs, etc and simply assign a shortcut to the processor (or offline file) thru RSLinx Enterprise. This shortcut now allows the developer to simply configure the "connections" to the buttons, indicators, inputs, etc. by selecting the appropriate tag (which RSLinx Enterprise sucks out of the controller---or offline file.) Click, drag, drop so to speak.

Sounds great unfortunately all the SI's I've ever worked with wanted to do side by side developement of the PLC and HMI. The only thing that existed was an I/O image to start. The HMI programmer ahd to assign tag names and map them to the names the PLC guy chose at system debug time.

Try reading one that's written in Italian Industry slang. We can't even get anyone to translate it...