Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
full time

omron communication

7 posts in this topic

when trying to establish communication between my laptop (VISTA) and the omron plc C1000H. I have to use a USB to serial adapter connected to the cable we normally have connected with before. I cannot connect to PLC. I check device manager to and it recognizes the adapter and there both set to the same com port. I don't know if its the vista operating system or what. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Could be Vista - I do not think any of us have been brave enough to try it yet. I certainly will not until drivers are available and at least 1 major service pack. Could also be the USB/232 converter. Is the driver for the adaptor Vista certified? If not I would suspect that is probably at least part of the problem. No certified Vista driver, no use quite frankly. Actually, no real serial port no buy laptop anymore. Had too many problems with adaptors and laptops. Edited by BobB

What converter are you using ? Omron CJ1W-CIF31 or a third party ? I think not many have tried with Vista. What connecting software are you using ? CX-Programmer ? I don't even think it's offically Vista complient.

Per my conversations with Omron, software is NOT compatible with Vista! The estimate I got was 4th quarter of 2007, which means probably March or April 2008. Just FYI, official Rockwell notice is the their software is not Vista compatible either. Sorry for the bad news!

I got a new home computer this weekend. Needless to say it is VISTA. I will say VISTA seems to be right powerful but it was a major PITA to get some things working. I spent about 6 hours and I probably have 3 to 10 more to get everything up and running. Then I get to import the files from my external hard drive so wifey can have her "things" available. If this was any indication of getting some of the industrial software I use daily working, GOD help us all. Time to invest in a few cases of bug spray.

And its meant to improve productivity ?

Well it ONLY took 2-1/2 hours to activate Office 2007. Yeah I am SSSSOOOOO much more productive. I had the opportunity to send comments to microsoft during the events last night. Both times I said I do not believe VISTA is user friendly. XP was easy. I can see where some potential with vista but I hope the new super laptop I am getting next week AINT vista.