Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECSI

RSLogix 5000 Tag Question

7 posts in this topic

My first crack at RSLogix 5000 programming. Going pretty good so far, but I have a bunch of tags that were created on the fly as I was writing the ladder logic. The tags ended up as Program Tags but I wanted them to be Controller Tags instead. Is there a way to move them? I can't seem to cut and paste them or drag them, and if I look at the tag properties the scope is not accessible to change. Thanks

I haven't found any way, except to go offline and delete and rebuild the tag correctly. But in order to delete the tag, the tag can't exist in the program. So, I change the incorrectly built tag (sample) to something like sample_old, create the tag(sample) correctly Then I replace the old renamed tag (sample_old) in the program with the new correctly built tag (sample). Then finally delete the old renamed tag(sample_old). It is frustrating. Hope someone has a better/easier way. I wonder if there is an easier way using the L5K file??

Export the program to a csv do a search and replace of the tag scope save the file delete the existing project create a new project and import Thats the problem you should always create a tag database first this way you have your structure created and can name the arrays the way you want Allowing the logic to create it on the fly will cause you grief later down the road.

I did add to the tag database first, but as you create the logic you always come across new tags that you weren't expecting, so I added them on the fly, not realizing that the scope mattered much at the time. Now I know better. Thanks for the help guys. Edited by ECSI

Open up the Program Tag Controller Organizer Edit Tags tab, highlight the entire rows from which you want to move, right click, cut, open the Controller Tag Edit Tags tab, scroll to the bottom when you have the empty field where you can enter new tags, and paste Easy enough? TW

LOL...easy enough. I was on the monitor tab instead of the edit tab. I knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks TW!!!

I build 75% of my tags on the fly, then later group then into a directory structure using user defined tags I would have to go through the general program in my head to lay out the tag structure, might as well go a step further and type it into Rs Logix 5000 as I go. I have never ran into any grief down the road. You can change the size, type, name, scope, etc of an existing tag with ease.