Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratcliffe_ic

Controllogix i/o questions

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking at upgrading a PLC2/30 to CLX and have a few cards that are not available, these are : 1771-DA - could use the processor port or a Prosoft ASCII card, anybody used the Prosoft card, any comments about it? 1771-IG - 8 bit 5V TTL module, no card seems to be available, any ideas anyone? 1771-QA - Stepper module, i've found an AMCI stepper module for the CLX, anybody used one of these? I need a pulse train of approx 1.5Khz, is the CLX capable of doing this on an output (like MLogix), anybody attempted this? Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Might be simpler all around if you keep the 1771 I/O and put it on RIO.

You have options to keep your 1771-IO and yet get a CLGX processor. 1. 1771-ASB repalces PLC2 CPU and CLGX chassis uses 1756-DHRIO. 2. 1771-ACN15 replaces PLC2 CPU and CLGX Chassis uses 1756-CNB

I would prefer to keep the 1771-I/O but the client has asked for options to replace all, or at least update the more intelligent cards (da and the stepper) and leave the standard I/O which is robust and repairable. The none availability of 5V ttl cards would also add to the case as this would mean changing an encoder and more expense.

You can mix and match 1756 {CLGX} IO with 1771 {PLC2/3/5} IO using controlnet. The system would look as follows: A CLGX CPU with Ethernet and CNET cards in a CLGX Rack possibly with Stepper and Encoder local. A remote CNET Rack or Racks of 1771-IO including the old CPU rack. A remote CNET Rack or Racks of 1756 updated Stepper and Encoder IO.

You can use an MVI56-GSC Generic ASCII module to replace the 1771-DA. The 1756-IG16 is a 5V TTL Sinking input module for ControlLogix. The AMCI stepper modules are the best in the business. The ControlLogix doesn't have a pulse-train output mechanism like the MicroLogix does. If you are using just a little of this 5V TTL encoder, stepper, and ASCII gear you might consider using POINT I/O instead of 1756. 1734-ACNR ControlNet Adapter 1734-232ASC ASCII serial module 1734-IJ 5V Encoder Input module or 1734-VHSC5 High Speed Counter 5V AMCI 3401 Stepper Controller for POINT I/O

Client wants to update everything to Flex i/o on controlnet, is there a flex i/o 1794-IG16 module??

This is the first time you've mentioned FLEX. There's a version of the Prosoft GSC module for Flex. There's a high-speed counter card for FLEX, though I haven't looked up the input voltage range. But there's no stepper controller that I know about. It makes a lot more sense to use 1756-series I/O all around, or use 1734 or 1756 series I/O for just these functions.

Warning here gent's I did a massive PLC5/40 to CLX 61 conversion keeping the 1771 racks A total of 64 block transfers were involved for the analog system in the remote racks using of course 1771-ASB modules When converting I used both the 1771-ACN modules to convert some of the 1771 racks to Controllnet, and used the DHRIO module to allow the CLX to control the ASB modules Either way YOU MUST still use BTR/BTW instructions in the form of MSG instructions I was able to grind the processor to a halt, because both the BC and the UBC memory was overloaded. You must write your code to sequence the message read and write requests, and increase the UCB memory using the first line of code in the main program. Walk carefully when you go at this...