Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scadaman

One cable to connects all PLCs

12 posts in this topic

To all, INDUSTRAN sells an universal adapter that let you make a serial cable to any pinout in minutes without special tools. The cable will is used to connect a PC to any PLC. You don't have to make a cable for every PLC you want to connect to, just change the jumper to match a particular pinout. The cable has DB9 on one end and RJ45 on the other end. Check it out at http://rj485.com/index.php?main_page=produ...;products_id=44 Edited by Scadaman

So whats the diff between that and an RS232 breakout box ?

One place the price is $19.99 and another it is $30 which is it? What about DB9 PC to DB9 PLC or DB9 PC to DB25 PLC. ALso doesn't help then the PC is rs232 and the PLC is RS485 or DH485.

what somebody needs to come up with is something like this, but with a small microcontroller or PGA that has the "database" of cable pinouts stored in it. You just tell it what you're connecting from and to, and it makes all the interconnectons for you.

The universal serial cable adapter costs $19.99. A couple of other adapters the comes with DIP switches that cost $30. The site also sell RS485 adapters, in either DB9 or RJ45 form. These have terminal strip that let you insert two wires in each terminal block so that you can daisy-chain a multi-drop RS485 network. Look under "RS485 Adapter" category. The half-duplex version is the best. It has DIP switches that let you configure to match a specific pinout in seconds. There is also a 120ohm resistor on board that can be enabled/disabled. http://rj485.com/index.php?main_page=produ...;products_id=10 Edited by Scadaman

I agree with BobLfoot, We even have Mini-DIN8, 7, Fujitsu mil Connectors, 3M Sumitomo Mil connectors... We just made each cable we need in a 4inch length version and have one extension staight cable DB9-DB9. It is still a lot of cabling but it still goes into my laptop case...

With DB9 connector, the pinout does not vary much. But with RJ45, almost every manufacturer use different pin numbers to assign to DCD, DSR, DTR, TxD, RxD, GND, CTS, and RTS signals. To carry a 4-inch stub for every combination of those pinouts, one must have a very big laptop case. Even that doesn't guarantee that you will have one for every possible combination of RJ45 RS232 pinouts. But the adapter will guarantee that because it is truly UNIVERSAL. Respectfully yours.

i think what beegee was saying is he needs to carry a lot of serial cables OTHER THAN RJ45 termination

You would need a MainFrame to store that much info.

I don't disagree. As a matter of fact, a RJ45-RJ45 adapter is already in the works. And a DB9-MINIDIN8 will come a while later. Cheers.

When I used to work with the Modicon PLCs, i bought some DB9 and DB25 RJ45 adapters and pinned them out for various connections. So in my laptop bag I kept one 10' Ethernet cord, and plugged the ends on I needed to program the PLCs or Magelis operator interfaces. Even made one extra with the pair reversed so I could connect Magelis to PLC with the adapters. 4 small plastic adapters and one RJ45 cable was much better than 4 cables. And since I work with Mitsubishi stuff now, I love the fact that their new servos, PLCs, VFDs, and operator interfaces have all gone to USB connections.

USB is a definitive modern convenience. However, for someone working for a large industrial automation company, it is not unusual for me to interface to many makes and models of PLCs, both new and legacy. The idea of a universal adapter comes to me after my tool bag becomes a large duffle bag filled with serial interface cables for all sort of PLCs that I have to connect to on an daily basis. If someone only specializes in a certain brand of PLCs e.g Mitsubishi, then a few pre-made cables should be sufficient most of the time. Cheers.