Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sathya

how to get data from siemens to AB plc

14 posts in this topic

hello friends, i use compact logix n siemens s7 300 series in ethernet network, i want to know how to get my siemens data to AB plc. i don hav any SCADA r HMI for it.

Use Kepware opc software as interlinking both AB & siemens if otherwise no option you have to use modbus comunication only

Direct ethernet connection is not possible. You can add a Profibus card in the Compactlogix rack: http://www.hilscher.com/products_details_h...P_43143e243d6d2 The compactlogix side probably have to be master and the S7 side has to be slave. Alternatively you can add a CP341 with loadable DF1 driver in the S7 rack. But the CP + driver is probably a bit expensive. Edited by JesperMP

Will an OPC client like RSView32 also be needed in this solution with KepServer to link the tags from the 2 PLCs, i.e. read from Siemens and write to AB or vice versa or can it be done without OPC Client? I have done this earlier to connect a 3rd party PLC (dont remember the make) on Modbus ENet to FlexLogix controller on ENet I/P, thru Kepserver, using derived tags in RSView32 to write the tags from 3rd party PLC to FlexLogix data table, so I know this can be done with Kepserver + RSView32. Since there already was an RSView32 station in the project accessing data from Kepserver via Modbus serial from field devices, I did not investigate further, but can this be done without RSView32 or any other OPC client? Edited by manav

The short answer is "yes". The most common OPC variant is OPC DA. For this there must always be an OPC Server and there must also be an OPC client. The OPC client can be a SCADA package or some special software to exchange data between several OPC servers.Another OPC variant is OPC DX. This allows data exchange directly between OPC servers with no need for OPC clients. For Kepware the DX functionality is an option you have to purchase separately.

PV+ with kepware driver is also possible we have did the same with profibus card available with SST & prosoft

DeviceNet is one possible common protocoll, it should be also possible to exchange data via 1756-EWEB card.

I am interested in knowing the details of this solution. Can you elaborate a bit more ? I think it is not possible to exchange data this way, but I may be wrong.

It is possible however I don't know how complicated this solution would be. With the sockets feature you can pretty much open up a connection to any port and send a TCP or UDP packet out. So build the request per Siemens Ethernet protocol, open up the correct port, send the packet, wait for the Siemens processor to respond,then properly process the returned data. See no reason why this wouldn't work BUT it is not as simple as executing a message instruction like you would to another AB PLC

This sounds like an interesting possibility. Does anyone have a link to manual or something that describes this "low level" type of communication ?

The Socket interface of this manual will get you started http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um527_-en-p.pdf This Technote has a good PDF in it on how to use the sockets http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1 I can convert the ACDs to PDF if you need me to

Yes please.Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou.

Just throwing in another long shot: Is this "socket" feature also available on for example the CompactLogix -L35E ? My background for asking this is that I think in the future we will see people more and more using the smaller PLCs with integrated Ethernet ports.

Here are the ACDs EWEB_SOCKET_CLIENT_V2.pdf EWEB_SOCK_UDP_VER2_1.pdf EWEB_SOCK_TCP_SERV_VER2.pdf Ther L32E does not currently support the sockets feature but there is a 1768-EWEB for the Compactlogix's 1768-L43 processor