Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

AB 160 VFD - Self resetting after Overload

4 posts in this topic

Had a AB 160 VFD controlled motor fail by single phasing. One Phase shorted to ground in the motor. The Ab 160 VFD would overload, the PLC would see the overload and turn off the start signal, the VFD would reset {no fault reset issued by plc} and the overload would go away. The PLC would try and start the drive again. I always thought AB 160's latched the overload fault. Anybody seen this before?

the 160 has an automatic reset - I have only ever had to use this feature once on a remote irrigation pump on a client request. In your 160 look at parm 50 and 51 (also check them up in the manual) as they control the auto reset feature

I reread the manual. AB 160's will reset a fault in three (3) ways. 1. Press and Hold Stop Button on HIM 2. Cycle Power to the unit. 3. Remove the Stop Input. Turns out the "COIL Output" from my PLC drives a relay called the "Drive Enable Relay". This ice cube then connects terminal 7 (COM) to both terminal 8 (STOP) and Terminal 6 (Start). A fault input from the VFD causes the PLC to turn off the "Coil Output" which resets the drive and clears the fault. No fault the system tries to run again and again and again. Well not anymore. Fault Inputs from 160 VFD's are now latched with a B3 bit until acknowledged by the Operator on the Panelview. This makes the drive still self resetting, not a bad thing and the system not self restarting which was the real problem.