Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sleepy Wombat

Shoddy workmanship = Sleepy pissed off

29 posts in this topic

I've been in one facility where when they opened the door of the enclosure, you saw bare wires hanging in the cabinet. And at least one of them had been live, judging by the burn mark on the paint inside the door. The inside of that panel (mind you this is a 2 door like 8ft x 8ft enclosure) looked like spaghetti. Not one wire was still in it's wireway, and all the wireway covers were on the floor of the enclosure. Glad I didn't have to troubleshoot that thing...

gravitar, Did you work for the same company that use to work for? The Parent company of the company that I use to work for owns companies that make Golf Carts, Helicopters, and tools for the electrical contractor. The management had these same ways of doing things. Just get it fixed. They didn't care if the wire was pulled back to fix it properly just fix it as fast as you can. They asked why you wanted to fix it the right way because it may take more than 10 minutes. swimmy

One thing that some companies just cannot seem to grasp is that if you do not have machines that are idle some of the time, if you do not have employees that are idle at least some of the time, then you are going broke fast. They teach it in every management school, but it seems to get forgotten somewhere between the graduation floor and the factory floor. Toyota is the model of lean manufacturing that everyone is trying to emulate, and Toyota refuses to run their equipment balls to the wall, it comes from being philosophy driven and not crisis driven.

I think I've worked in that enclosure too... One of the first systems I worked on as an integrator had been modified several times, but they never ever demo'd out any of the old IO wiring or devices. So you might very well come across a hot wire that wasn't related to the actual input device of interest. Then while I was baby-sitting the system we had been working on, they asked me to investigate some other problems they'd been having. IO on occasion would just get stupid. What I ended up finding what that all of the "stupid" devices were in the same remote rack, so I expected that they had an ASB module that was starting to fail or something like that... To troubleshoot, I was going to swap a couple of ASBs and see if the problem moved or if it stayed. When I opened the enclosure, I found that instead of using blue-hose, they had used 12 gauge SO cord... that ran from the PLC through 3 racks of motor-starter panels all of which had their motor leads just in a pile on the floor - and the SO "blue hose" was running right through the midst of them...