Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave1971

Advanced Functions

22 posts in this topic

Me again, after one more bit of help for college . Could anybody point me in the right direction for the following. I need to give four functions are, less that, greater than, binary to BCD and PID control. I need to evaluate each of these functions in turn by giveing examples of how each would be used in a ladder logic programs. Also i need to state typical applicications for each advanced function. Regards Dave. Edited by Dave1971

You can go to Ab web site and search the programing manuals and it will have all the info you need.
1 person likes this

Hi bob could you narrow it down because there are lots of pages to choose from.

Download the SLC instruction set, it will be a good starting place: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=697

Cheers Ken, will download and take a look at that later.

Less Than compares two numbers and returns true when A<B. Surely you can think of a use for that. Greter than compares two numbers and returns true when A>B. Surely you can think of a use for that. Binary to BCD conversions will change a binary number like 0000 1101 0000 0101, which is 3333 decimal, to 0011 0011 0011 0011 which is 3333 in BCD format. Here is some information on the BCD format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary-coded_decimal. Surely you can think of a use for that. PID stands for proportional+integral+derivitave. It is used in closed loop process control for controlling variables such as temperature, flow, level, position, power, pressure, force, velocity, feed rate, tension, etc. Surely you can think of a use for that.
1 person likes this

How can i identify elements associated with the preperartions of a plc program, for example coils counters and timers.

You could look them up in "A Field Guide to Popular PLC Elements" by General Rockwell Mitsumoron, USMC ret. It includes colour pictures of the most frequently encountered elements, male and female, in both juvenile and mature forms. It's available for ordering now at pre-publication pricing at Amazon.com, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and many other online sites. ISBN 1771-314159. The actual publication date is 4/01/2007.

Cheers guys, i have recently order yet another book from amazon.co.uk. Hopefully it will have every think i need. Edited by Dave1971

good luck finding that book, let me know when you find it

Could you please explain a litte more about these.
1 person likes this

If the level of beer in my mug is less than 4 ounces, order another. If the level of beer in my belly is greater than 20 ounces, go to the loo.

May be we are assuming Dave knows what greater then and Less then mean. Here is a link that should help him put his thinking cap on. http://www.songsforteaching.com/jennyfixma...terlessthan.htm
1 person likes this

That is a very small beer buffer. You must execute many beer buffer interrupt service routines.

I find a direct correlation between my age and the frequency of buffer flush interrupts. So far it appears to be simply a linear relationship. If it turns out to be exponential I may have to perform preemptive BFIs. It Depends.
1 person likes this

I find the frequency to be a first order plus dead time function, possibly influenced by temperature.
1 person likes this

It is definitely exponential. 1st Beer - No Go 2nd Beer - No Go 3rd Beer - No Go 4th Beer - No Go 5th Beer - No Go 6th Beer - Got to Go Go Go!!! 7th Beer - No Go 8th Beer - Gosfdt tasdo Gdfo Gfo Goa!!! 9th Beer - Gsdfot ffwto Gfswdo Gdso Gofds!!! 9th and a half beer - fdslkjg gewdsa awsgkl gwfsd!!! What beer was I on? Hey!!! Look at that hottie at the end of the bar. I'm moving in. Glad that ugly one finally gave up the seat. I think a graph is in order so Peter can examine it

Normally I would like to but in this case I think it is too much information. It was funny though. Are interrupts advance functions? How about beer buffer interrupts? Maybe this requires a poll. TW are you back? I just got back too. Two weeks in Ireland and 5 days in Finland. It is too bad I had to leave Ireland before St Patrick's day. It would be interesting to see how the Irish celebrate St Patricks day. It probably requires many pints of Guinness with many beer buffer interrupt service routines. I wonder if they can put enough food coloring in a Guiness to turn it green. Hmmm. I guess I will never know.
2 people like this

Funny thread
1 person likes this

That will take more than trends and graphs. I believe physical taste testing is in order
2 people like this

Hmm... dead time approx 6 beers time constant approx 2 more beers not enough info to calculate gain but it seems that something is wound up or saturated.

Dotty, Uln sy ny kunuy, U vsb'y otibffr sbgtnitr fsys Computer Translation: Sorry, I'm at my limit. I can't provide anymore data