Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest trn_psycho

What do you think?

12 posts in this topic

Keeping this somewhat cost limited, what would y'all recommend in this situation. I need to build a heat table that will have 44 zones on it. This will need to have temp monitoring, control setpoints for all 44 zones, and an HMI for operator interface. We pretty much have standardized on SLC and micrologix in the plant, so I'd like to keep it this way. I was thinking maybe a micro 1100, and a panelview+ 600 (or 1000). Errr...Is the Micro 1100 able to do PID instructions? (I've never used one, but I know the 1500s will do them.)

i do not think a 1100 will do a pid but for something like this i would use a control logic and a larger panel view plus that is going to be a lot of data in a small place

Make sure you do your homework on the 1100 with respect to the I/O count. It can only handle 4 expansion cards and using the 1762-OF4 would only be capable of 16 analog outputs (assuming you wanted to use the CPU to control the zones). Whatever you decide, I would try to configure the system in RSLOgix first before making the purchasing decision. IMHO, the 1100 sounds too small but the 1500 should be up to the task (but the rack power supply may not be).

Thanks for the responses so far... I've haven't delt much with PID from a PLC standpoint, so any help is good. In truth, I wasn't sure how to even begin this task. I was hoping to use the 1100, due to it's build in e-net and online editing, but if I need the power that only comes with a 1500 (or better) then so be it. What do y'all think the hardware requirements will be? A controller (micro 1500), an HMI (panelview whatever), 44 heaters, 44 SCRs, at least 44 outputs (triac), 44 analog inputs (RTD), and a lot of power.

Different approach: Buy 44 temperature controllers, and network them to an HMI. You would have to crunch the numbers to see what's most cost effective.

That was my first tought, only I've never tried anything like that. I'm guessing that you CAN buy ones that are networkable? Then wouldn't you still need a PLC to interface the HMI?

Will there be any interaction between zones. ie. Increase in heat from zone 2 will also increase zone 1 & 3?

Only in the case of contact heating... Meaning that zone 1 will be connected to the same steal plate that zone 2, etc will be connected to. All temps "SHOULD" be around 400 degrees but we may have to bump a few of them up or down depending on the process...

I would contact Omron and Red Lion and find out exactly what your choices are, I believe this could be done without a PLC.

Another company would be Cal Controls. Here is their Web Site. http://www.cal-controls.com/

OK... I'm going to crunch some numbers on the controllers. For the time being, am I correct in what I'd need (hardware wise) to make a run at this via a PLC/HMI setup?

I have had to do 33 zones before on an extruder. I would look at temperature controllers depending on your application. In my application with the extruder I had to watch feed rates and change the PID gains to get better response on certain zones at high feed rates. If you use a PLC this is definitely a higher end processor. You can also mix and match. I have used temp controllers on areas that have a linear response during operation. Then use the PLC in areas where I need more flexibility. Good luck Edited by rammin48