Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Scroll Bars in New KB at Rockwell Website?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have this problem? even if I make my resoultion smaller, I still have scroll bars both up and down and side ways. I have to scroll to the right to hit the "SEARCH" button. You would think a fella like me that has 1600 pixels WIDE SCREEN would not have to scroll left and right on any website, EXCEPT rockwells....

I have my widescreen turned vertically (1600 pixels). Th bottom half of the screen is a blank white page, and I have a vertical scroll bar. [No horizontal scroll bars]

I don't think their web lackey has played with it enough to realize it sucks to use.

I actually thought that there was no information to download , but then saw the scroll bar and found the file at the far right. It does allow them to have some good descriptions in the summary.

The horizontal scroll bar is specific, in my experience, to Firefox browsers. All the graphics, embedded icons, and the overall view display correctly in IE6 and IE7. I use the "Expand Your View" function on the main support page to launch another tab or instance of the Knowbase that lacks the main Support feature navigation bar on the left. When I get icons and embedded pictures that don't display correctly, I switch over to Internet Explorer. With all the fixes that went into this during its premature launch, I am surprised that this major usability discussion hasn't changed. I'll bet a Standards guy won the argument. Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks Ken, I had never noticed this. It makes viewing much better

Bookmark this link http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com You will see a full screen. I spoke with guy in charge of KB and he could not give me a reasonable explanation why they are using frames.

VERY NICE!!! Thanks for sharing that!

I've visited the site in IE6, IE7, Firefox and FireFox with IETabs. All look ok if you chose the enlarge my view or use Conn's link.

My guess would be they are trying to keep the look of the new knowledgebase the same as the rest of the Rockwell site, mainly the left and top menus, but when they embedded it they put the width at 865 which is awful for even my laptop. Seems like they could have set it at 100%

You can send KB complains and ideas directly to KB manager: - Select Ask Question from the main KB screen - Select KnowledgeBase from the part number list - Send your question This will automatically create case for you and you will receive response over email or phone.

Not to pick on Allen Bradley, but do they really give you a response back? I'll have to try it out and let you know.

Yes they do. I was having an issue with Firefox and a broken link in a technote, in both situations I started a case this way. They responded and shockingly their response was not "Use Internet Explorer" to the Firefox issue. Of course with 25% of web users now using Firefox I guess they realize that that is not a good answer. Next time I have a question about a product I'm going to give this method a try and see the results BTW Chakorules, I have opened two tickets with the company you referred me to for my other project. All I can say is WOW!!! All tech supports should try out their system. I have never seen an online support system that comes close to theirs

I opened a case about the scroll bars, and got a respone in about an hour via email. The response stated that there was a known issue with Firefox, that they were working on it, and then gave the work around that was posted earlier.

Yes you will: All questions automatically routed to the same people who handle phone calls. They will not be highest priority compare to phone call but you will definately get response. All questions sorted by the same system that routs phone calls to the correct support group, so if you type 1769L32E for ths product, then all engineers who handle Compct hardware will see your question and one of them will respond. Will you get the answer that you like? This is a different question that was discussed here many times and I will not go there again. Edited by Contr_Conn

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I created a ticket (for the first time) in the new Knowledge Base about this, and I got an answer back within 24 hours last week. That's pretty impressive. I don't think it ever use to be like that. Apparently with the new switch over to the new KB, other improvements in a ticket system must work well. I pretty much knew the answer I was going to get, like you said...but in my responds I got was a good work around, the same as what you have mentioned. I was just happy to get an e-mail back from them. In the past (two-three years ago) it wasn't like it is now. If it is an answer I don't like generally I ask for a second opinion in the matter. How are the situations now if you find a problem with the product? Will the techs try and work with you on the issues rather than not taking any blame for it? An example of what I mean is recently I had a GE profibus module not working correctly. GE tried to blame me for the issues, but in return, they found out they had a problem with the hardware. They sent me a new profibus card, and released a whitepaper fix for the problem I had. I am not sure if they had the whitepaper release BEFORE I had the problem or AFTER I had the problem, but it was pretty quick turn around to getting something back to me that would work. And they said "Sorry" too.