Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shamus

RSView32 & CLX

4 posts in this topic

I have a project on a remote PC with my only connection (when off site) being a dialup one. An RSView project looks at tags from a CLX and an SLC (via CSV file) over RSLinx. When I am on site doing mods I complete them on my laptop then copy the whole folder to the remote PC and restart the project which is fine. If i did this remotely it would take forever to copy the whole folder. Can someone advise me of a quicker way to e.g modify a screen by adding a new tag then download the graphic to the remote PC and also updating the Tag info in the remote PC. The tag might be in the CSV file or in the CLX. regards Shaun

You can try using the dos xcopy command and copy files without overwriting. i.e. only copy 1 or 2 graphic files or database files, that have been modified later than the original files. Modem speed would allow transfer of 1 or 2 graphic files. Basicaly this method would not copy the entire project but only the modified or new graphic files. Not sure abt tag database but you can try with csv method. type xcopy/? in dos prompt to get a list of the parameters that you would need for the exact command. I have used this method to backup project files without the dbf trend and alarm history files. Let me know if you need any more help with this.

I should maybe just clarify a point that after I modified my project on my laptop I searched the project folder for all files with a new date (showing the day & time I modified them). I then copied these files down the dialup but some of the graphics were not showing correctly due to some problem with the tags. I shutdown the remote PC and rebooted the runtime but that didn't seem to work either. I phoned Rockwell Tech Support and they told me I had to copy the whole folder however when I got off the phone I had a feeling we were talking about different things. I have tried zipping the folder which knocks the download down to about 10mins but i just wondered if someone knew how the different files in the project work and if i could get away with downloading only the modified files? regards Shaun

See the thing is that you have to import any graphics in your project that you want to run. Just copying and pasting wont work. Search the knowledgebase for any utility you can find to do this. Or if you can explain to the guys how to import graphics and csv file (for tags) into the onsite project, then your prob is solved.