Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brucechase

How to change many machines easily

7 posts in this topic

I would like to know how everyone else change (or would change) programs on multiple machines at the same time (or even sequentially). For instance, say you have 40 machines that are all identical and running the same program. The machines are all connected via DH+ (4 different networks with 10 on each network) to a contrologix gateway so you can access these via ethernet. If you want to update all the programs with an identical change (like add a new rung), how would you go about doing this so you don't have to spend a tremendous amount of time clicking? Ha anyone seen a Rockwell product that can do this? Is there any other method that anyone can think of. (I did post this on another plc site but received no answers so I thought I would try here. Sorry to all who have seen this question before.)

RSlogix 5 Professional has a fully exposed VBA interface. YOu could write a small program to go online add the rung compile edits and go offline. Increment the node address and repeat process. Have not done it , but understand it can be done.

Do you know if RSLogix 500 has this built in and if so, which version would I need? All the machines are running on SLC 5/04 (and there are a lot more than 40 - there is actually more than 150 of these). A simple change can take days. I don't know anything about a VBA interface, but I'm willing to learn, just give me a shove in the right direction. Edited by brucechase

The idea of scripting online program changes makes me a bit uncomfortable... (Nothing could possibly go wrong with that) Yes, it's a tedious process to make repetitive changes. You have a few options. First, if you can make the changes by downloading rather than on-line then you may be interested in one of the PLC management programs. With one of these systems, you can replace the "Official" offline version of each PLC program and the management program will take care of downloading the updates when it "checks" the online version and finds that it is different.. However, if you need to do the updates online you still can make it as painless as possible. Minimize the keystrokes and the potential for errors my running two RSLogix500 sessions. One open with the updated program and one on-line with the current target. Use cut and paste to make the changes. The key here is to make as few cut and pastes as possible. Sometimes it is easier to cut and paste the entire contents of the program file rather than just the rungs that changed. Note that you won't be able to do this if you are real tight on memory. Make a checklist of the processors to update and check each one off as you complete it. This will be a big help when someone inevitably interrupts you in the middle of this process. If you have a partner working with you, make it their job to intercept people who want to interrrupt you. The key thing here is to ensure it gets done reliably. Good luck,

Yes RSlogix 500 Pro does have the Visual Basic interface. It also has a VBA for writing macros within Logix. After reading Maellis's post I have to agree automatic online editing gives me the willies. I know I suggested it. I think that having a copy with the change in it and a macro which will move the change to each new target might be better. Talk with your local ab rep he might have other solutions as well.

I just did 20 CompactLogix with identical programs. I changed the first one(my test unit) and then opened a second session. I then copied the rungs from the first session (offline mode now) to the second session (on line). I did this for all remaining 19 units. This is the only safe comfortable way I know of doing this, other then downloading a whole new copy (which requries the PLC be in program mode)

With more than 150 of these and a data highway that is not all that great (no I can't change to ethernet processors), it would take about 10 minutes to go online, go to edit mode, make the change(s), accept, test,and assemble edits, then save the program. Multiply that times 150 (or closer to 200) and you are talking about 30 man hours to make a change. That is about 1 week to make changes. If there were several of these in a month, then there is no time to do anything else. Currently I have 2 separate machines that run RSLogix and a Macro program and they divide out the changes between them. Still takes more than a day but it is all automatic and I can do other things while it runs. I was just wondering what someone else (who has a lto more experience than me) would do.