Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Ever seen one of these? "INTELLIGENT CONTROL PANEL"

11 posts in this topic

Just curious.. I've never seen one before. I looked at the bulletin number thinking it was a T-70, obviously it's nothing of the sort! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120090159351

No but it is a dinosaur the construct date is 1988.

1988, and made by Dynapro. (So i guess that makes it a Dyna-saur? :) I thought they just made Panelviews! I wonder what it was used for

As far as I know, it was a programmable, industrially hardened keyboard, used before touch-screens and touch-panels existed. It was before the PanelViews days, back in the Advisor PC days.

Almost right - they're not programmable. And, I would say, not particularly intelligent. It's a membrane key panel designed to be used with the Advisor system. The letter keys were arranged in alphabetical order for the benefit of people who had never seen a normal keyboard and for the frustration of those that had. Many of the keys related to features of the s/w. There was a similar device for the ControlView system. In lieu of tactile feedback, it had audible feedback - every key press activated a big solenoid inside the board to whack the case.

OMG Im dated now I used to program ADVISOR when it used the 8 inch floppy "SHUTTER"

Now that's hardcore :) Was it running on a Vista 2000?

Some more history... The Advisor system started out as a customised Intecolour PC in the late '70's. Dynapro - then independent and located near Kitsilano in Vancouver - developed their Grafix system which had an auxiliary chassis installed in the Intecolour to hold EPROMs and comms hardware. The software was the CP/M macro assembler with the Dynapro macro library. In the early '80's, Allen-Bradley was feeling left behind by Modvue and looking for something - anything - to compete. They found Dynapro, bought in for 50%, and got the system repackaged as the Advisor. Over the years, it morphed to Advisor + and then migragted to the PC as Advisor PC. None of these systems were very popular. Eventually, Dynapro produced ControlView in 1990 (by this time they had moved to Marpole in Vancouver). It had a better following, and a Dynapro OS called CRONOS which loaded on top of DOS. During the '90's they struggled their way to the Windows platform and with the help of freshly-acquired ICOM produced RSView32, which is essentially ControlView for Windows. Last I heard, they were located on Annacis Island in New Westminster. Apart from PanelViews, they built the Advisor hardware, the 1770-KF2, 1770-KF3(?), 1770-KFC(?), 1771-QB, and possibly more. They sold ControlView separately for OEM's, and also make terminals and touch screens for OEM's.

EGAD! I went to the training course, but thankfully never had any subsequent exposure. 20 minutes to boot up! megabuck$$ less funtionality than ControlView

Ok Gerry, you either work for AB or your an old timer like me. I bet you programmed the PLC3 also. I used to teach PLC3 beginner class for AB here in SOCAL. I used to be so fast on the T3, that I was laid back in my chair waiting for the complile to catch up.

I guess you mean T4. One of the PLC3 systems I worked on you could type ASM,Y and go for lunch.