Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

omron cj1m ethernet connection

13 posts in this topic

Have a question about connecting to a cj1m plc through the ethernet connection. Got a call today from one of our plants in El Salvador that has a chemical distribution center with a cj1m plc. Have not seen it, but according the tech I was speaking too it has a etn21 ethernet connection. Not sure what the ip address is, but tomorrow suppose to recieve that information. If I can ping it after i find out the ip address from my office here in the us, then I assume that I can then connect to it using cx programmer. Another question, how would I set up cx programmer to connect using ethernet. I have attached a copy of the program I recieved by email, is there a way to look at the file and possibly tell what the ip address may be? thanks Filtrazione.cxpforgot to attach the program i recieved.

Ethernet IP is set in PLC Ethernet Network Type settings (right click on the PLC in the program tree... then Change PLC then click on Settings...to find the set IP, the Network Type should be on Ethernet) Looks to me you will have to wait till they send you the IP because in the attached program I see the Network Type is set as Toolbus and not as Ethernet. Edited by dank06

Hence, one of our suggestions in the CX-Programmer improvement requests to keep all settings... Apart from that the program seems to be well written and laid out with indications of extensive rung comments..if you can get them.

Do you have this file.... Accessing_Omron_PLCs_via_the_Internet.pdf

Not untill now

No, since the protocol that ping command uses is not TCP/IP, I was told. so, if you see the PLC with ping command you still need some settings (routing table settings) in order to connect with CX-P. it is all written in Accessing_Omron_PLCs_via_the_Internet.pdf doc. excellent one. regards to all Edited by tashinz

Except if you don't define a routing table

From CX-Progammer? and you could program the PLC? I tried to connect to plc with IP 192.168.... from PC in our company's domain with IP 172.25....I had router with WAN side 172.25.... and LAN side 192.168..... I had to enter in ETN21 setup in Router Table routing 0.0.0.0 (any request from PLC) to 192.168....(send to router's LAN IP). without this is wouldn't work. also in router's setup I set up forwarding from port 9600 so the cx-programmer from that post can connect. has this a little sense? regards to all

I am beginning to doubt myself . It makes sense what you are saying but... As I said it is few years back and I am almost positive I didn't set the routing table, for the simple fact I didn't even knew how to do it back then. And I can remember asking our network company to open up 9600 and forward it to [ETN21 IP]. When I got home I connected to the PLC with CXP, connecting to the WAN IP of our router. I was online, could do edits etc. I surprised myself pulling this off, at that time I didn't knew much yet about networking. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, forgive me in that case.

Hey, I will try your way here in the office. Maybe I forgot my way, dang it. Say, put here some manual, example etc. with creating VPN and connect PLC through VPN? thank you man. regards Edited by tashinz

Hi too all, I have similar setup in one factori with CJ PLC and ETN21 thet is conected too factori ruter and gays thet do networ set me ruter too have acess fro any place in faktori ethernet place.It is wheri easi too put this ruter on ther internet accese nad to enable me accese from my office over internet. In PLC ETN I did onli basic seting as you can see.

Thanks for the great answers. Just found out this morning, that I have to go to el salvador this coming Monday to work on some press equipment that have ab slc 505 in them. While I am there, what would be the best way to go about connecting to the machine that has the omron using the ethernet connector and my laptop to make sure that i get the actual program that is the machine and the pc settings etc. the integrator that built these units is no longer in business, and just trying to make sure that I do not do anything that could possibly wipe out the program. I assume that I could go in through the peripheral port and upload the program along with the settings etc., and then would be able to see what the ip address is. when i do connect to the ethernet port with my laptop, would i use a cross over cable or a regular ethernet cable. hate to ask so many questions, but trying to cram in as much info as i can get before monday. getting old and trying to go from the slc 505 and back and forth to the omron is starting to get confusing, ever feel that way. This site is great.

if connect directly laptop to plc (i.e. without ethernet switch) you use cross over cable. If you use ethernet switch the use regular eth cable. In both cases don't forget to set your laptop's IP addres to be the same IP group as the plc i.e. if the plc is 192.168.3.50 and mask is 255 255 255 0 then your laptop has to be 192.168.3.xxx regards Edited by tashinz