Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dank06

CX-Designer to USB to serial to bridge to NS touch screen

15 posts in this topic

Another question from me :P If I wanted to connect to the NS touch screen via serial RS 232 in the following configuration: PC (USB to RS-232 male) --> Female to Female RS 232(bridge connector) --> (RS-232 male to NS touch screen) How should I have the female to female RS-232 cable? ... a straight through connection or a crossover connection?

If you are talking about the RS232 cable that goes from PLC to NS, then this won't work at all. You need a C200HS-CN220-EU (check download section for wiring diagrams). The reason is that the PC and the PLC do not use the same signal ground pin.

Hmmm, well i'm bypassing the PLC all together. i just need to connect the PC to the NS touch screen. the probelm is, the USB to serial cable has a male connector and the NS touch screen has a male connector ...so obviously i cannot connect male to male...that's why I need the female to female bridge. The USB to Serial (9pin male) and the 9-pin male serial from the NS touch screen need to connect directly ...i just don't know the wiring for the female to female serial cable. /edit: basically, I want a CS1W-CIF31 cable. My current cable is very similar to the CS1W-CIF31, except that it's a male connector instead of a female. Edited by dank06

See Jay's post above. You must use the cable between the USB serial unit and the NS screen.

What exactly are you trying to do!!! If you want to link USB to the NS from your PC why not use NS USB port connection??? I use this all the time on an NS-10 unit. Very fast [actually much faster than Ethernet], and a lot simpler to set up!!

The NS actually has a female connector. I agree with BITS N BYTES, just use a USB cable direct to the NS.

USB cable is the fastest way to transfer the data but when using old screens, you still need the serial cable. PC to NS (or PLC) 2 - 2 3 - 3 5 - 9 7 - 5 8 - 4 You can also short 7 and 8 on the PC side and 4 and 5 on the PLC side

this is regular Omron programming serial cable. you can use this to program NS, NT, plcs... simple answer OGS and simple is the best! Edited by tashinz

Yes I forgot about this, I had an application with two NS10 screens. On one unit the USB transfer worked perfectly on the other I struggled for hours and thought the unit was bad. Turns out it was an older model prior to lot #0325. See attachment from manual. USB_Communication_Lot_Number_Issue.pdf

Didn't try with older since I have NS12-V1 lot No. 2825 and the usb connection worked AFTER I upgraded the system software with 6.0 (originally it came with version 5 I think). after that I could download the program via usb cable. now in that NS12 is system software 6.61. saying that maybe older models with V1 can be downloaded with system software 6.0 or above so the usb will work? should try it. regards Edited by tashinz

LOL...ok, I didn't explain myself well enough there :P From my electrical cabinet that houses the PLC...I have about a 50 foot RS 232 cable communicating from the PLC to the touch screen. The RS 232 cable is male to male since the PLC comm port is female and the touch screen comm port is female. I do not have any rear access to the touch screen, the only comm access i have to the touch screen is via the 50 foot male to male RS 232 cable. I already have the CJ1W USB to RS-232 coming off my PC. The problem is that it also has a male RS-232 end. Now, to bridge the 50 foot cable male connector to the RS-232 end of the CJ1W cable, would I use a female to female straight through connection or do I have to use a cross over configuration?

You CAN NOT use the 50 foot NS - PLC cable for PC - NS connection just by connecting it to your PC, no matter what USB converter cable or gender changer or nullmodem cable you use!! Unless you want to cut the cable at PLC side and resolder the wires to match PC com port pin layout. Surely you are able to acces the screen once ? Just plug in an USB or secondary serial cable and leave the connector somewhere where you can acess it. Find all the differences and win a dishwasher NS - PLC cable: PC - NS cable:

It is also possible to program the NS-display through the PLC (the PLC acts as a bridge). I've used it myself and it works. See connection settings in CX-Designer. Remark: the NS display must be directly connected to the serial port on the CPU. It doesn't work with an SCU-module. Edited by Sjakko

Good suggestion Sjakko, I think this is the best option for dank06.

Ok, I'm sorry ...due to reality being subjective, I was under the impression I wasn't explaining myself well enough :P Thanks PdL for having patience ... (dang I want to win that dishwasher) I'll have another go at the pass-through connection, though I wasn't able to master it before following the tutorial guide ... but like I said, I'll give it another shot. Thanks all for your input!