Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ssommers

Shihlin SEPLC A1-40MR

15 posts in this topic

I'm finding some rather obscure PLCs lately. From reading other topics here, I gather that this is a Mitsubishi PLC. I may need to get inside of it sometime. What software will I need? Will it work on an XP notebook with only USB ports? TIA! Susan

Have you got the PC project files or plan only upload from the PLC? In the first case it's better to have the project original software. Post the file extension(s) and we'll help to identifythe software. For upload only, I would use the old DOS-style Melsec Medoc. And you even can download it for free from some websites. Any of possible softwares will work with USB-to-RS232 adapter, but you will need another adapter cable to connect to PLC. Edited by Sergei Troizky

My plan is to upload the program just for backup purposes. I don't know if the machine came with the project on a disk. I'll find out more tomorrow when I'm at the plant. BTW, I'm looking for something a little more recent than Medoc. I have no objections to buying PLC software. I just don't know what PLC package will work.

It's some difference between "no objections to buying PLC software" and waisting money. For occasional purposes I would still choose Medoc. Even if buying newer soft is unavoidable in the future, later you buy it- more you save on upgrades.

The A1 was the Mitsubishi F1. You need special communication modules (F2-20GF1 and PCX-KIT1) which Mitsubishi no longer sells. And this unit was only programmable via the face-mounted keypads (F1-20P or F2-20P) or MEDOC. Not supported in any newer software. This is vintage 1985 hardware, it's long obsolete and dang near impossible to support these days. It will certainly not work on a Windows XP machine with no serial ports.

Just use Melsec Medoc with the special SC-02 converter and you can read out the PLC. Shilin is a brand labelled Mitsubishi. It will work on Windows XP, However you need a USB to Serial converter to get the communication.

Not familiar with the SC02 cable, but that PLC does not have a serial port, so it needs the F2-20GF1 adapter to give it a 25-pin RS422 port.

Ok, I found a ROM cartridge in the battery compartment. This plc definitely doesn't have anything that looks like a programming port - unless it's the blue single row port that looks like this... [---------------]

LOL, YEP THATS THE ONE THAT THE ADAPTER FITS ON

You can see by the attachments the rear view shows the F2-20GF1 socket and the front view the 25 "D" type serial port Unfortunatlly these attachments are very hard to get hold of now. Rodney Edited by Rodney

Rodney - A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks. I only have 3 machines with this PLC so I'll keep my eyes open for one at the recycled electronics shops. Thanks for all the help!

Check with your local Mitsubishi dist. They will probably have 1 in stock (Disclaimer I work for a Mitsubishi distributor and we keep 1 in stock -F2-20GF1 and PCX-KIT).

Good luck with that. Mitsubishi stopped selling them about 2 1/2 years ago. If you find one, it's been on the shelf for a while. I know some Mitsubishi offices have them in their labs which they can rent out, but you cannot buy them new from Mitsubishi anymore. I used to work for a distributor myself.

Susan Did you ever find one of those adapters? I know this was a long time ago.