Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brass

CompactLogix L35E Serial Port

9 posts in this topic

I need to change the configuration of the serial port of a CompactLogix L35E. Every time I try, I receive the error "Invalide attribute value" and then the parameters go back to the default value. The serial port is not used, and a PV1000 is networked by Ethernet. But, when I'm using the spare PLC and do the same thing at the office (without the PV), I've no dificulty to change the serial port configuration. On the field, I've try different way to change it but no result. Any ideas? BUG_RS232.bmp

Hi Brass Think you could post that program? Were you able to try it in program mode?

Hi TWControls, I'll have to check if there is a confidentiality agreement on this code before sending it to you. But, remember that when I download this code in the spare PLC, I've no error and I change the serial configuration like I want.

Weird ! I have not seen that before. What are you connecting to with 7/N/2 serial framing ? The way that serial port configuration happens in A-B controllers is that there's a set of current attributes and a set of Pending attributes. When you make changes in RSLogix 5000 you're changing the Pending object, and clicking "apply" copies all the Pending values into the active configuration and resets the port. Somwhere in that process a value is being sent to the Pending object that it won't accept. This might mean that RSLogix 5000 is sending a wrong value, or that the CompactLogix firmware is rejecting an acceptable value. Do you know if there are any differences in firmware between your field system and your lab system ? I can't imagine that your PanelView has anything to do with it unless you have it writing to a Serial Port object.... which I can't think of a way to do.

Hi, You have to test your serial driver under Rslinx Configuration driver. It's not because it's working with one PLC that the serial driver will work all the time !!! You have to check the serial driver each time you want to connect on a new PLC.

Hi everybody, Thank a lot for your suggestion, but it was more tricky than it looks. Like mention in the first post, there was an error "Invalid attribute value" each time I download the serial configuration. There was no information with this error. Tech support group from RS I've no clue about my problem, but they told me to try the following thing and it worked. -Export the program in .L5K and reimport it in .ACD. So, when I've reimported it, I've received the following warning: Warning: Line 6767: An error occurred while setting attribute TOKENHOLDFACTOR of DF1 DF1 (Value too small.) Complete - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s) It make sense, since this attribute is related to the serial port. Finally, I've download this program (doing nothing for the warning) and now I can change the serial port configuration (online) like I want. Thanks again!

That is wierd. Glad you got if fixed and thanks for letting us know what you did TW

I saw this error 5 years ago with a 5555 Controller. But I didn't get an error message like this in the Rslgx5000 software. I just found out that the serial port was set up to "system" instead of "user". I changed it, closed the dialog box. When I reopened it, the setting was back to "system". I used Firmware 7 at this time. I've shutted down a running production line, rewired over 10 hours for a new project and one controller didn't work because of this error. It tooks me 3 hours to end up with the L5K-export-import solution, here it was the first time I saw the error message. The program was uploaded from another controller, this controller was still running with the wrong value (0), this could be tested by uploading this program again and exporting this to L5K. The "Tokenholdfactor" was not available in the RsLgx5000 Software, but there was already a SSV available. I don't know how a value could change that is not available for the user (we had no SSV instruction for this in the program). We received a non ASCII byte string in this aplication. I assume that a certain byte combination caused the processor to change this setting. The recommendation of the Rockwell support was only to update to a newer firmware.

In Release Notes of Rslgx5000 Version 13.01 you'll find: