Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PlasticsDude

inexpensive PLC with free software

19 posts in this topic

Are there any inexpensive PLC's with free software? For example if I get a DL05 for $99 I still have to pay $350 for software...too much!

There is a free download of DirectSoft software that limits you to a program size of 100 words. You can download a free version of RSLogix that only works with the 10 I/O MicroLogix 1000. GE Fanuc has a lower-cost (approx. $100) version of their software that is limited to their VersaMax Micro and Nano models. Look into Entertron. There may be others.

Specificly the 1762-L10BXB

I have a 1761-L10BWA and the freebie works fine with it.

Does the ML05 have full functioning free software? http://www.automationdirect.com/static/press/dl05_analog.pdf

I'm not sure what you mean by "ML05". The free version of DirectSoft 5 works with all AD PLCs including the DL05. Prior to the introduction of DirectSoft 5, AD offered a low-cost ($99) version of the software that only programmed the DL05 line. The next step up programmed the DL05, DL105, and DL06. They had versions for the DL205, DL405, and DL305 lines and one for everything. At release 5, they stopped offering the individual versions and only offered the bundled version that can program all models. They lowered the price on the bundled version, but essentially raised the price for the folks who only use the smaller PLCs. Personally, I think it was a mistake, but that's the way it is.

Don't think we quite know the specifics yet but it is posted for the 1761-L1BXB. What series is yours Steve? http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=9757

1761-L10BWA Series F FRN 1.1 It's about one year old. I downloaded the freebie RS Logix around the time I bought it. RS Logix starter version 6.10.00 Build 43 RS Linx 2.43.01.23 (CPR6) Edited by Steve Bailey

So basically if I get an AB Micrologix 1000 I can download fully functioning free software to train on it? Thanks for any replies.

The freebie software only works with the Ten-Point MicroLogix 1000 controllers. There is still some confusion about whether it works with all ten-point units.

What's the part number for the 10 point? I'm bidding on a Micrologix 1000 on ebay right now...

A ten-point MicroLogix 1000 will have 1761-L10### in the part number. The ### characters change with different power supply and I/O voltages. Read through the thread that TW Controls cited in post #7 of this thread for some cautionary information.

Best I can tell you will need a 10 Point Micrologix 1000 Series F or above. The Series E apparently came out before the release of the stripped down BXB and is incompatible with the free software. I can't guarantee this information but I strongly urge you to read this thread carefully before you get burnt http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=9757

Steve, Thanks for the plug. To further expand on Steve's mention... We just recently updated our software page with better information about our programming software. (FYI - the download is free whether you purchase a controller or not. registration required) In further expanding on the Micrologix offer, I believe, but am not 100% certain that the free software is only good for the smallest unit. Therefore, if a larger controller is required, you would still have to purchase the software. To Plastics Dude: In previous posts, you had mentioned needing analog capabilities (specifically RTD). The controller you are considering, due to the inexpensive software does not offer any analog. You would have to use a different version Micrologix for analog and still a different Micrologix series if you wanted to incorporate RTD inputs. If you are looking to get your feet wet in learning PLC programming, you may want to further consider the manufacturer's hardware that will meet the requirements for your applications. Every manufacturer's software offers nuances that may or may not be found in other programming packages. If you are going to go with AD because of their inexpensive hardware...bite the bullet and purchase the software. Depending on which manufacturer you choose, some software is a one time purchase, while others require yearly maintenance fees / service contracts. In addition, some charge by number of users / site licenses installed. It is not just a simple cut and dry decision...You have to look at capabilities in relation to your needs. You should also consider manufacturer support...where do you receive your support from...distributor or manufacturer. How good or bad is the support? In being new to the field, you will probably rely more on support than you think...therefore, this should be a consideration as well. Remember, the people that provide support, don't work for free. To review... What are your goals? To learn PLC programming only or to select a PLC platform (manufacturer) to work with? Then, look at your needs. You will need to consider hardware capabilities, software capabilities, manufacturer support. Chances are your decision will be based on a combination of both learning and platform. There is a phrase..."penny wise, pound foolish" Don't just pick the least expensive starter kit because of price. If it won't meet your overall requirements what is the benefit in purchasing it? If you select something that doesn't meet your needs, you will have to purchase something else that will. Hope this helps. God Bless,

You can download the 1000 step demo version of Mitsubishi's GX Developer FX here. GX Developer comes in two flavors. The "FX" version mentioned above works with all FX series PLCs, including 15 year old models that aren't made anymore. These are the brick-style PLCs, including the brand-new full-featured FX3U. The full GX Developer, on the other hand, works with every Mitsubishi PLC ever made to date, rack- and brick-style, except for the Alpha series. The Alpha series is a simple, inexpensive brick-style that is better classed a "smart relay" than a PLC. It's programmed using a very inexpensive ($100 list) software that is graphical and not at all like ladder logic.

Turns out I'm getting my hands on a Siemens S7-224 through work. Thanks to all who replied. Wish me luck, I will need it I think! Hope that S7 is a good unit...

Whether it's good or not, if that's what they're using where you work then it will be time well-spent for you to learn it :)

HORNER APG makes an inexpensive PLC/Operator interface combo unit. http://www.hornerOCS.com The model number HE-XE102 has 12 DC inputs and 6 relay outputs and an operator interface all in one unit. According to the sales rep, it is expandable to 5000 I/O. The software is free to download. Edited by cmoore73

S7-200 is a fairly easy PLC to learn, with good software. You should have no problems.