Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan

Windows Vista

9 posts in this topic

Now that Windows Vista has officially been launched - who's gone out and picked up a copy to run their local factory (some degree of sarcasm)? More importantly, has anyone started testing a controls project on Vista? Right now, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for a real application, but you never know what customers specify. This would be a good place to put links for software company warnings and patches for Microsoft's latest and greatest. Edited by Nathan

Didn't notice this post: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=10250 feel free to delete this post

No, I think there are some people out there with concerns over Vista apparently not allowing the installation of "unsigned" drivers. Let's see where this goes Moving the the Computer Help and Networking Section TW

Tim, Thanks for the move. Does Vista allow you to override the driver thing? They were trying to do that with XP too, but (obviously) it didn't happen. The core (kernel) has been pretty solid in MS operating systems ever since at least NT 4. Drivers are really the things that have the permission and run level to mess with ("lock up") the user interface. Makes sense for them to do this move if they can pull it off. Unfortunately, it's worthless without a very high level of support and QC. I've used signed drivers that aren't stable. How MS can get all vendors to supply high quality/well tested drivers for most to all of their hardware is beyond me. In case you've never heard of this, signing refers to a cryptographic process that verifies the authenticity of the driver. This verifies that you're using a driver that: 1. Came from your manufacture 2. Was tested and approved by MS 3. Wasn't tampered with Disadvantages are that it cost money and resources to do this process and that it could slow down updates. Edited by Nathan

I bought a Sony VAIO laptop with Vista Business installed on it. I've had it for almost 5 months now and everyday it finds some new way to disappoint me. The ways are too numerous to list here. This OS (in my opinion) is crap and should still be in the alpha state. There is absolutly NO WAY I will ever use this for anything that has to do with controls/automation. I tried to install Unity Pro and Concept XL (Modicon). After about 6 hours of messing with it (kept getting random errors) it had to ask me if the program installed correctly. How would I know???? This thing also fails to startup and shutdown at least once when I use it, and it feels no need to put anything in an event viewer. This has given me some strong motivation to start porting things to Unix based OS's. If anyone is in the least bit curious about how to get Wonderware or your favorite PLC programming package working on linux, feel free to ask me. I will do everything I can to keep everyone I can from using Vista.

I'm certainly curious - have you done it or are you working on it?

Two pieces of feedback on Window Vista. 1 - From an IT Techie friend of mine who does a lot of Database apps and so forth. He loves his Vista Machine. But says it is definitely Windows done differently than Xp or 2000. Things are much more automated and for those of use code geeks who like scripts and tweaks they'll be a lot more obtuse than they where in XP. 2. From my sister a Vetrinary Lab technician who just had a whole new Suite of Apps and Vista machines dropped into her work. She hates Vista and plans to avoid it at home for as long as possible. If it weren't for her company buying tech support from the app vendor and them being responsible for all the Vista gotchas they'd be in real trouble.

I am working on porting or emulating some popular automation apps to linux. There are licensing issues and all sorts of junk I am reading through now though. I will write some papers and put them up here when I make sure everything works right and is legal. As for Vista and database apps and such, I hate it. Took several hours to setup SQL Server Management Studio, make it stable, and make it work on a net connection. I have a live linux cd that I put MySQL Server 5.0 on. All I have to do to get it to work is put it in a computer with a bootable cd or dvd drive and turn it on. Takes a couple minutes......

My only advice regarding specialized software (science/architecture/engineering/animation etc) is not to upgrade to a new OS until the software provider announces on their website compatibility either that or wait for the newest installment. Example you will run in to some problems while running autocad 2k7 on vista, but autocad's newest installment (2k8) works fine. Edited by automation.engineer