Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

OMG: Some people have no concept of safety...

50 posts in this topic

Title says it all.. I hope this isn't a MrPLC member. If it is, this isn't SAFE... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7472502197006303244

I have seen this type of ride set up before in a video. I believe it was at a large mall or amusement park. The big differece was that the other one was elevated and no where close to any walls. They had a mobile stair to get into the seat as the robot could not reach the floor. Either way its not for me. Bob

I guess what bothers me are these things: 1. kids in lawn chairs waiting to ride.... 2. It looks like some guys shop, permanent (marked off) 3. No helmet, no roll cage, a taller person would be in big trouble... It wouldn't bother me if this was some dude temporarily setting this up wanted to kill himself ……..but the kids? That's not kewl.

Is that the ultimate confidence test in your programming? ---"I know that my feet will be dragged along the ground, but not my head"

Here, hold my beer while I ride this.

It won't hurt, you won't feel a thing. You'll just be dead when the robot crushes you.

Or worse, You could end up a quadraplegic with a broken neck.

Remember the old joke about the definition of a redneck? You may be a redneck if the last words of any member of your family were "Hey guys, watch this!" Hey guys, watch this!

I saw the same thing on cable TV (TLC, SCI-FI, something like that) not long ago. It had two seats and the host riding it didn't have a helmet either. Unbelievable.

That one was more than likely Kuka's Robocoaster (www.robocoaster.com). If you look at the design of that, they atleast took the time to try and put some safety into it. Like elevating the robot so it can't touch the floor, (at Six Flags, not a trade shows). They have a roll bar to protect the seat above the head, unlike the video where the guy's head almost hits the floor and his feet hit the floor too...

Darwin Awards 2007: DarwinAwards2007.pdf

Totally agree with you chako... What made it worse still was that there are kids sitting there watching as well.... with no guarding and any thing stopping any one from walking into the path of the robot... The guy laughing in the back ground is literally laughing death in the face....

Ah... the banjo tune from the movie "Deliverance" plays in the back ground... Brandine (Cletus' wife/girlfriend) remarks "Dang, Cletus! Why'd you have to park so close to my parents?" to which Cletus responds, "They's mah parents too!".

Lol man this stuff spreads fast.... the owner of the robot is a member of the same sportbike club as me. It's out of okc and he does custom fabrication and uses alot of servo robots for welding. Yes, I have ridden it but only after watching the program and it wasn't that one. The one I rode on had u up high just spinning you around quite fast. That was a lil close for my taste on that one.

Just a quick question: What is the behavior of the robot if it is executing a program when the power goes out?

I know the instances of robot wild orbiting have been drastically reduced in the last couple of years but there is always the chance that it could happen with someone in the seat. You can't fix stupid!

Good question Steve Even if they have brakes it still takes time for them to react

Oh boy....have you ever seen a robot go AWOL? I have. That robot looks shinny, did he get it brand new?

chako, my notification said you reply ended with: "He must do alot of work in the automotive like detriot area to get a robot that size." Was "detriot" a freudian slip ?

no I editted my post because I re-read his post. "It's out of okc and he does custom fabrication" I assumed "okc" means Oklahoma City. So I felt dumb asking that question so I deleted it.

I never said it was the smartest or safe, just giving a lil more info. Yes, it's Oklahoma city Oklahoma, the club is speed-tribe this is by far the least of things we've been known for. Edited by DKamler

Checked out your website and some "other videos". You guys are like stunt junkies are something...LOL... http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jilliams http://www.speed-tribe.com/ Good for the riders, they have helmets Oh, and just tell us that none of the kids rode did they? I'll feel better...

Correct, no children were allowed on it. I wasn't at that get together, he has alot of bbq's and stuff at his shop but I think i was in the gom when this went on.

Since were on the Redneck subject. I got this in an email the other day and you guys may enjoy it. It was titled 1st Red Neck theme park ride. slingshot.wmv