Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

Panel View Plus and associated development software.

9 posts in this topic

I have been contacted by a customer whose system we installed last year. I have the archived .apa files but cannot restore the backup to my software now. I have a laptop with newer software. I get the following message when I attempt to open the archive: Unable to restore application "name" from "path".apa Please check that: There is sufficient disk space. ---- There is. The Application is not open elsewhere. - - - It isn't. Teh destination application does not already exist. - - - It doesn't. I've tried everything short of a hard drive reformat to get this archive open. The customer wants some changes to the graphics, does not have the software or expertise to change a graphics program, and is depending on us to help them out. I feel handcuffed! Any recommendations?

See post #5 http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25200

What's the version of ME this apa was created in? And what's the version of ME you are using? Keep in mind that if the application name, in other words, the file name.apa is longer than 32 characters (including spaces), this error message will pop up as well. I found that out in a hard way.

This is usually a problem with the version or installation of RSLinx Enterprise, which is required for RSView Studio to work correctly. The pre-4.0 versions of the Application Manager also had a handful of compatibility problems. E-mail me the *.APA file and will see if I can open it.

i had the exact same problem and i reformatted and it started working. I was told it had something to do with factory talk but i never did find out. Your best bet would be to e-mail it to someone and let them try to open it.

I took the advice about the RSLinx Enterprise and was able to get the system going. BUT!!!! I have another problme. I am trying to open programs that were written before and not sent to a .apa file. Is it possible to access a project that has not been archived? I find no file that would let me open the project files. Any suggestions other than to kiss the old project good bye and start again? Please forgive any spelling errors, I was too lazy to change the screen after working on another project and have not proofed my questions.

The usual way this comes about is when these projects were done on a development PC and then somebody failed to use the Application Manager and just copied all the project files. The simple thing to do is to create a new project then import all the Display objects and other importable objects (macros, etc) from those source files. There might be a more elegant way to restore those files. Give RA Tech Support a shot at it.

It turns out the Import wizard is better than I thought it was. When you create a new RSView ME project, you have the option of Importing a PanelBuilder32 or RSView ME 2.0 project (a *.MED file). I found that RSView ME 3.x projects import pretty well, too. The only thing that might have to be rebuilt is the trend object, as that did report an exception during import. Everything else re-created itself; graphic screens, alarm triggers, user accounts, tag database.

Hey, Regarding about this question you post, I wonder did you manage to figure out the problem, how to fix it? Hope to hear from you. Thanks, AmazingTrans