Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tester

ADVICE, PLEASE

27 posts in this topic

Hi, All I have a basic knowledge of PLC hardware and ladder programs- I want to do a bit of self-training. I have: - a SYSMAC C20 (CPU73) - a SYSMAC CQM1 (CPU21) - Syswin3.4 - herds of standard serial cables, standard and null-modem - laptop with RS232. I've read the FAQ's, have gotten confused! What I want is the simplest, cheapest to set up system. It appears to me that the C20 requires a custom cable and an adaptor to link to the 48-pin D-like female socket (unless the custom cable can be made to directly link to the socket); while the CQM1 possibly only requires a custom cable. Advice/help/recommendations regarding the following will be appreciated: - which of the two PLC's would be the easiest/best/simplest for my purposes? - exactly what do I need to get going, ie software, cable, etc? - if what I need requires OMRON parts to be bought, what are their approximate costs? Thanks and regards

For now nothing specific. You might need this too. Syswin 3.4 Manual @ MrPLC.com

Well i must be a cave man.... Which would make Bobb Neanderthal man ....

How about the S6, and the old step controllers, and the M series. Or Hitachi D series etc etc. Approaching Neanderthal man but not quite there Yeti.

Tester, You mention a CQM1-CPU21. Is that a system, or only the cpu? CQM1 is modular and requires at least a power supply in addition to the cpu. With the 16 built in inputs, you can make that work with out additonal modules. Just wanted to clarify. And Welcome to the forum! Edited by gtsuport

Thanks, all Beggars are Neanderthals, not choosers... BTW: is there a free (ie not a trial) version of CX-One? Gtsuport Thanks for the welcome. It's a CQM1 system, with a CPU21 processor, power supply, 1x analogue, 1x digital in and 1x digital out modules. Cheers. Edited by Tester

Your best bet for omron equip is through Omron themselves, they have catalogues available, and I think that they may provide training courses also. However, if you have a basic understanding, then any queries will more than likely be answered here. What neck of the cloud are you in? I have 2 C20's running on 1 site, 4 CQM's on another, and I did discover a S6 that no one knew about as well. First time I had ever seen one of them. Haven't even though about going online to it, never had the need.

Hi, All Right, I'm up and running, using Syswin 3.4 on a CQM1. Problem is, whenever I try to connect to the PLC, the message "Received Header Too Short" appears. I've tried the standard settings (7bit, even, 2 stop, 9600b and 1 stop, 2400b). Help! Any ideas (the Manuals weren't much help)? scottmurphy I'm in the Waikato, working in Hamilton, living in Cambridge. Cheers

Try changing the comms settings in Syswin to 1:N or, if 1:N, try 1:1. If I remember correctly that is the cause of that message but it has, quite frankly, been many years since I last used Syswin.

Tester, Take a look at Dip Switch 5 on the cpu. If ON RS232 port settings should be 9600, 1 start, 2 stop, 7 data and even parity. Unless it is a pre July 1995 processor. Post the "Lot Number" found on the side of the cpu and we can figure out the manufacturing date. It is possible if Dip Switch 5 is OFF, that the port is set for custom comm parameters. Changing the dip switch will not modify the custom parameters, but will reset the port to default. Make sure you power down the processor before you change the dip switch. CPU will read the switch at power up and set the port accordingly. scottmurphy, There is NO computer support for the S6. You need a 3G2A3-PRO16 handheld to support that hardware. If my memory is correct, the S6 was discontinued in 1993. You may want to see what documentation is around for that system. You can sometimes find S6 units on ebay, but you may want to change it out for current hardware before it becomes a crisis. Just my 2 cents. Hope this will help.

gt, Thanks for that info, I will mention to the relevant people. In terms of inding information on it, that could be a struglle, as the guy that has been there 30+ years didn't know it was there. ( possible he hadn't come across it in the last 15-20 or so). I will look at it again today to see what it is doing.

Ah, well... BobB: Thanks. Sorry, mate, I don't know what you're getting at, as I can't relate the item you suggested to the Syswin 3.4 comms parameters. gtsport: Thanks. The CPU21 lot number is 24X6. I have tried DIP 5 in both 0 and 1 positions, with PLC powerdowns inbetween, with no luck. In short, I get the message "Received header too short" when attempting to connect to the PLC via the RS232 port, using Syswin 3.4. Further suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers

Are you using the proper cable that PdL mentioned above? Standard cable will not work.

Hi, ECSI Thanks. I assume by standard cable, you mean standard or null modem serial. No, I am not using one of these, but rather made one up as per PdL's link and have just checked it for the fifth time... Cheers

When you try to connect, do you see any of the comms leds light up on the CPU ?

I have just placed Syswin 3.4 back on my computer. If I remember correctly the settings I was referring to are in Host Link settings which are in the Host Link setting area. Probably not applicable here but I do remember having this problem before but it was a LONG time ago. Will attempt to hook up to something today if I have some PLCs in the workshop.

Hi, BobB and Pdl Thanks. I have since tried installing Syswin 3.4 on another PC, because my laptop has a USB to serial converter, which I thought could be causing problems. However, the PC (with proper serial ports) reports the same error. PdL: no, no Comms LED's. BobB: I'll have a look in the area you suggested. Your being willing to set up a test is much appreciated. Cheers

Check you cabling..... between the PC and PLC... ie 2-2 3-3 5-9 (brdges PC side 4-6 7-8...bridges PLC side 4-5 7-8)

Although comms setup might be wrong, you should at least see the comms led light up a few times when connecting. Some things to consider then. Are you sure the PC COM port is not being blocked by any running service ? Can you test it on another PLC or device ? Perform a loopback test ? Could it be the PLC Host Link port is defect ?

Hi, PdL and Sleepy Wombat Sleepy Wombat: Hmm, some discrepancies between what you mention and PdL's diagram. What I have is- PC 1 screen 2 connected to PLC 2 3 connected to PLC 3 4 bridged to PC6 5 connected to PLC 7, bridged to PLC 9 6 see PC 4 above 7 bridged to PC 8, connected to PLC 4, bridged to PLC 5 8 see PC 7 above 9 not used, PLC 1 not used 2 see PC 2 above 3 see PC 3 above 4 bridged to PLC 5, connected to PC 7, bridged to PC 8 5 see PLC 4 above 6 not used 7 bridged to PLC 9, connected to PC 5 8 not used 9 see PLC 7 above. PdL: this is where the Newbie becomes a bit lost. Background information is- the PLC came out of an existing installation (a pumpstation, I think). It has a program in it. It has a peripheral port and an RS232C port- I'm using the RS232. The PLC is standing alone, ie no IO connected. It has a PD026 P/S module, a CPU21 module, an OC222 output module, an AD041 analogue module an an IPS01 analogue P/S module. On powering up the PLC, the LED stati are: PD026 PWR is green CPU21 RUN is green ERR/ALM is unlit COM1 is unlit COM2 is unlit OUT INH is unlit all inputs unlit OC222 outputs 6 and 7 active, others inactive AD041 RDY is green BROKEN WIRE is red 4CH is orange IPS01 PS is green. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Hi, All Thanks for all the help- I'm finally talking successfully to the PLC. It was my error- really not being familiar with Syswin: at some stage I had reset all Syswin settings to default and so it was attempting to talk to a different PLC model, compounded by my USB to serial port changing from COM3 to COM4. Have a beer on me... on second thoughts, as that's not possible, bask in the glow of my appreciation of your help, next time you're sipping your favourite tipple. No doubt I'll be back! Cheers

Just visited S6, the date on the memory card was 4.5.84, nearly as old as me......

Now that really makes me feel old. I was in college and working with PDP 11 and 8046 chips in April 84 as part of my Senior Thesis.

Spring chickens!!! I was 40 when the memory card was made. Now you know why Sleepy Wombat gives me grief all the time about being neanderthal man!