Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
netdomain

PULSE TRAIN OUTPUT / STEPPER

7 posts in this topic

Hi , I want to hook a stepper with mitsubishi plc. I understand I will need a board that takes pulse train outputs from plc and drive the stepper. My question is, what exactly do I need in the PLC? Is there a special card that sends these train pulses? If yes, what kind of card? Highspeed Output Card? Thanks

I wanted to add that I am using Q02HCPU, System Q High Performance. If I use a Transistor Output Type Card, will I be able to use Pulse Train Outputs with it?

dang, I belive I can't use Series Q / Q02HCPU for my stepper with PLSY instruction. It says I am limited to 1 - 100 hz. While in FX1 Series its 100 KH... Huge difference. Why they even made such a shootty plc after all.

You choose a modular PLC type, in this case you can choose you're own configuration. In combination with a Q02H CPU, you have several possible configurations to get an output pulse for servo. One is the QD75P1 module, P1 stands for 1 axis pulse. If you want to connect more servo's then you get a QD75P2 or QD75P4 module, with these modules there is an easy configuration tool called GX Configurator QP available. Another one is the QD70P4 module, 4 axis pulse output. With this module you need the special utility package for configuration. If you don't use these software packages, you can always use the manuals to search for the settings by the correct BFM and write them from you're PLC program by TO instructions. with this module you get more options than only a PLSY instruction. (and some others). Like for instance interpolation of servo's, what not possible is with the compact PLC series. If you want to connect only one servo then it should be better to take a FX1N PLC. You are right about the output specification. Take in mind that this are only for a few outputs. (Y0 to Y4). What you miss in this case is the feedback from the amplifier. So you can send pulses to the amplifier, but you don't know if the motor is running or has run to the desired position. (also called as droop pulses). Also the FROM and TO instructions take a lot of time inside the scan. Depending in the required speeds in your application this can be an issue.

I can't find the user manual for QD75P1 or QD75P4... Do you know where to get the manual for this card please? help would be appreciated.

www.meau.com has all of the Mitsubishi manuals, including the ones you're asking about. If you're outside the North America, you might not be able to access it directly. As far as the 'shooty PLC' comment, the Q Series is far more powerful than you're giving it credit for. With 3 motion CPUs you can do 96 axes of motion over fiber optic cables on one PLC. You just can't use a simple transistor output card for high speed pulses. There are numerous options for motion control, like the Q172 and Q173 Motion CPUs, QD75P, QD74M, QD75D, QD70P, etc. Download the Q Data Book I put in the downloads section and see. In the FX Series, you can get much higher with the built-in transistors because there are not as many options for additional motion modules. It's a different platform. Can you do high speed pulse outputs with a standard output card on an AB or Siemens? Not typically, it's special motion control modules.

Hi.. Sorry to bump this dinosaur post, but i need advice related to this post. I'm using a Mycom stepper motor driver (IMS500-120L) with FX1N-40MT. On the motor driver, I connect the following CW+ - 24V with current limiting resistor CCW+ - 24V with current limiting resistor CO+ - 24V with current limiting resistor However, I'm not sure how to connect the driver (CW-, CCW-, CO-) to the PLC Y0, Y1 etc.. Attached is the datasheet for the motor driver. Can somebody please advice me on this. Thanks. MyCom_Driver___5PH21.pdf