Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tspisak

Micrologix1100 to Cognex Camera via Ethernet

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone have examples of a A-B Micrologix1100 connected to a Cognex 5100 via Ethernet? I've seen the examples for SLCs but the ML has different commands. I'm trying to get pass/fail, camera busy, and part angle signals back to my plc.

I haven't but the SLC commands should translate to the ML. Can you post the SLC example?

The real question is... Does the Cognix camera 'look' like some form of A-B PLC? I know that the "Banner" cameras look like PLC5's. When I want to get/put info with them I do it as if I was MSGing a PLC5. The "magic' setting is 'Industrial Ethernet' With the cameras' output set to that you can communicate between the camera and many other ethernet connected devices. If I understand it correctly they use a subset of the PCCC protocol to do the info transfer. Edited by pabeader

This won't help now, but I've got to do this vary thing this week. When I get it done, I'll post back. I've done ML1200 through a NET-ENI before, and a GE 90-30 through a CMM321 before to a Cognex. It's not bad in either case.

I've had to goto a hardwire trigger for the camera since the ML1100 doesn't support ST address in a message command (need to send "SE8" to camera). For job change I'm going to output the part number BDC to a robot and let it communicate the part number to the camera serially. I may use the bigger IO board in the future so I can select the job directly.

ML1100 doesn't support ST???? I use that to send emails out and to tell the Banner BCR cameras what to look for. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem

The PCCC format is use by SLC & PLC/5. The Logix and Micrologix 1100 is based on CIP. Maybe a 1761-net-aic will help you but with the serial port ............

Ok I am knee deep into this, what questions do you have? I've got mine working today, though my program is not done yet. When I finished it and I can post it for you to check out. But I figured I'd offer to answer any questions you might have now. Basically what you've got to do is a WRITEEIP in the Cognex camera. This stuffs data into the local memory blocks inside the camera. Then you have to do a MESSAGE instruction in the PLC to query the camera and retrieve the data you are looking for and store it into your PLC data table. The same goes the opposite direction. You write a MESSAGE insturction in the PLC to write stuff into the cognex camera memory blocks inside the camera, then you have to do a READEIP when the camera is triggered to suck out values in the memory area and stuff those values into your spreadsheet. That's the big picture.......

If you have Ethernet your your micrologix, you may be able to talk Ethernet I/P to the camera. Look at the Cognex / DVT website. This is fairly easy with the DVT cameras but a little bit more difficult with a Cognex. Make sure you use a hardware trigger and reply for the camera. If you have to use a net ANI device I believe that you can not talk ethernet I/P to the camera. dAVE.

The ML1100 supports ST adress type but the message command doesn't support using it with a PLC5 write. I get the message "local address may only be ST file type 485CIF Write Command" & Target doesn't support this address type. I haven't tried the 485CIF Write instead of PLC5 Write in the MSG configuration. Cognex needs a SE8 command to trigger the camera. Banner has predefined address for trigger - Cognex does not. (that I've found). I hardwired a plc output to the trigger on the breakout board (so much for only running power and ethernet to the camera)

I don't use the break out board either, but I do use the hardware trigger. I use the pig tail power/trigger/high speed out cable verses the break out board. I am using a message instruction to grab what I need from my camera. Native Mode commands "strings" should be supported if your not talking to an Insight 3000 is my understanding.

Chris, tspisak is correct, the Cognex requires a SE8 (set event 8) command to trigger the camera. This can be accomplished by ethernet without the pigtail. I recently downloaded a program (in PDF) that was a convert from a CompactLogix (communicating to a Cognex 5100) to ML1100 (communicating to a Cognex 5100). When I complete this out of state install and return to INDY I can send or post. Too, when we last talked, I mentioned the Banner camera upgrades. Sounds like you have had some additional hands on with the Presence Plus/Pro/Geo. What do you think? Pretty nice, aren't they!!! By the way....GO COLTS!!

I can't wait to hear how to trigger the camera via Ethernet!! Too bad my project had to ship with the hardware trigger. Now if I can do job changes via Ethernet I'll have a great package for my next project.

I have been using a lot of Banner P4 cameras lately and All of the things you are looking for are in there. In the very recent past they have completely rewritten the firmware and software. Can have 100s of products now and will record inpection pictures for 'offline' testing. It isn't "real" offline yet, still have to have camera, but it's getting closer. Can use the ML to talk directly to the camera and pass triggers and changes. These have ACK signals for handshaking.

I know this thread is starting to talk about Banner Vision...but anyway here is my application. I am still not done with it. I need to finish up my documentation in the program and write some Alarms in the PLC. But inside you will find a couple of message instructions from the ML1100 to a Cognex 3400. I am not triggering the camera via ethernet. I started using the hardware trigger, but then the customer wanted to add a "crack" inspection around a 360 degree object, so I had to change my camera over to "continuous" trigger to be able to spin the part 360 degrees with a robot looking for a surface crack defect. So then I just message the crap out of the camera during this process. So everything your looking for is here EXCEPT triggering via Ethernet. Good luck with your project. included below is an RS500 7.0 file, PDF version, and a Cognex 3.3.3 file, PDF version for you to look at. cognex_ml1100.zip

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be using some Cognix/DVT stuff in the near future and am very thankful for the leg up.

tspisak "I can't wait to hear how to trigger the camera via Ethernet!! Too bad my project had to ship with the hardware trigger. Now if I can do job changes via Ethernet I'll have a great package for my next project." I usually set a "check box" in the Cognex job. I then utilize this check box to conditionally enable a cell. This is done at the plc by way of a Set Integer command. SIG10 and data 1 for example. This relates to the attached jpeg. If G10 has the data set to 1 by the plc, then the tool is active and the inspection data can be messaged to the plc. If the value is 0, then the tool is inactive. True, the last retained value is stored, but simply using an "IF" statement tied back to the "check box" will solve this. For example: if(G10,GetScore($N$10,O10),0) will display the inspection result if the check box is checked or display 0.000 if the check box is not checked.

I just talked to AB tech support yesterday about communicating to a Digi ethernet to serial converter with the ML1100. He said that it is not posible with the ML1100 and I would need to buy a more expensive PLC if I wanted to do this. Compact Logix supports this but the ML1100 only supports communication to other AB products at this time. Then he said a new firmware is due out in the next couple of weeks to add a generic ethernet communication option to the ML1100. So how can AB advertise the ML1100 as having ethernet if the software only supports communication to other AB PLCs? Seems like false advertising. Wulfgar

The ML1100 has ethernet, it just doesn't communicate over ethernet with the protocol you desire. There's Ethernet IP, Ethernet TCP/IP, Ethernet MODBUS, Ethernet UDP etc...

Hey Guys, Do these cameras output raw tcp? Do they have their own IP address and can use port numbers? Rick

Here is a PDF on the Banner PresencePLUS vision sensor, "Ethernet/IP and Modbus/TCP Users Guide" that may assist you. PPVS_EIPUsersGuide.pdf