Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pseudoquas

McAfee VirusScan eats RSView SE!

4 posts in this topic

Interesting discovery…RSView Studio SE uses an unfortunately named "launcher.exe" file. However, McAfee's virusscan console considers such a filename a violation of its Unwanted Program Policy and deletes it whenever it has a chance. Of course, with my company-managed computer, the automatic virus scan updates overwrite my console configuration that removed this file from the bad list. Waiting for IT…………………… Edited by pseudoquas

Goto Rockwell's Knowledgebase and put "McAfee" in the "Search Text" field http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/

Searching under McAfee in the Rockwell Knowledge base showed a lot of workarounds, exposing the activation/registration files that Rockwell works so hard to hide. I did find a workaround to using Launcher.exe. According to #24985, launcher does nothing more than display a splash screen and open vstudio.exe. Point your shortcut directly to vstudio and you should be fine. Ironic that the fix is a cheesy hack for the question posted in the knowlegebase (launcher.exe causes a fault in Windows), but actually very applicable to your problem (if it works). Edited by Nathan

I did find that clicking on ‘vstudio.exe’ directly did launch the studio application. However, it did so after first launching the installer program, which I had to cancel prior to the launching of studio. If the cancel wasn’t immediately hit, then the installer would continue – eventually failing. What seems to work is renaming launcher.exe (to launcherh.exe … h for hide-from-mcafee!) and then renaming each relevant registry instance of launcher.exe to launcherh.exe. Thanks for your help on this!