Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunnysting

Home plc software help

9 posts in this topic

Hello again all,, I know it's a bit sad but it would really benefit me to be able to write/check plc programs at home on my own pc without all the expense of additional software. I have seen sites that give software out that allows you to view/program but no commmunication, is this relevant for rockwell? I have legal versions of all software for home use but no activation. The software that I would like to use at home is L5K amd RSView studio. Is there any chance of this? Thanks, Lee.

Do you have the empty floppy disk? I know it is a pain but the empty floppy disk can be used for an addtional activation. This will work until they implement the new factory talk activation. You also don't mention which particular software you need but there is a 10 Point RsLogix 500 version. You could test your code but I/O layouts would be a problems You can find information about it in the AB FAQ http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6401 There is also a RsLogix 500 Starter version that does not do online editing but you will have to purchase it. Think it is $500 to $600. Floppy disk is the best option

Logix 5K is the main software we use . I don't want a dodgy copy just want to view/edit programs at home. Thanks all, Lee Edited by tunnysting

The only option I know of for RsLogix 5000 is to use your empty floppy disk at home. It is legal, do you understand how to use the empty floppy?

Or use the original activation master disk at home. You can always run with the master disk, regardless of where you installed the license.

you will get RSL5K demo software try with this http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwell...x5000/demo.html

Are you an integrator? Rockwell has the software pack with additional development licenses for most integrators. Also, there's always the VPN/Remote Desktop approach.

The way I solved this problem is pretty simple. My work computer was replaced with a notebook. Now I can use the same software that I use in the office when I am in the plant, at home, or travelling. To the best of my knowledge, there is no editor for ControlLogix other than RSLogix5000. However, there is a way to edit ControlLogix programs as regular text files (actually XML). You save the file as an L5K file instead of an ACD file. This file you can edit without RSLogix. Many people use this method to produce repetitive code quickly. I have seen Excel spreadsheets with macros and even SQL databases produce entire or partial L5K files. I don't think that was exactly what you were looking for, but it might be useful. Good luck, Edited by mellis

Thanks all, I take the floppy home now if I want to do any out of hours work. Strange that I haven't known an empty activation master disk will work the software but comes in very handy. Cheers. Lee