Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee_H

GOT1000 Networking

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a approximately 10 robot cells all running Mitsubishi Q series plc's and all have the GOT 1000 HMI (GT1565-VTBA) at the moment all ten cells are seperate however i am looking at networking all ten via the GOT display using the ethernet comms module (GT15-J71E71-100) The idea is for each machine to pull off the build figures onto a centralised PC - i guess this will grow into a full featured SCADA system but at this early stage i'm just working it out. Now then this is where i begin to encroach into new territory, i can fit the cards easily, assign them all an IP address and wire all into a network switch ready for feeding back to the desktop PC but what next? How do i retrieve the information am i looking at using VBA + a device driver module or a SCADA program such as that supplied by PACESOFT? Any pointers would be gratefully received. Thanks and merry xmas. Lee

I don't know of any SCADA system which is designed to talk to the GOTs. Networking the PLCs would have been a better approach. But you can use FTP to log into the screens and retrieve data log files and such. You can also use the client/server network and make the GOTs share data over the Ethernet. Once you get all the data in one place, you should be able to read it from one PLC, perhaps by adding an Ethernet module to one PLC and having your OPC server or SCADA package read from that one.

Thanks for the quick response, this side of things is new to me working with individual PLC's etc is relatively simplistic but this ... well it gives me something to think about I was under the impression i could input values into specific data registers on the GOT which would then be transferred to the PLC similar to what i have done with the Proface screens hence i could send each specific cell a value and have that transferred to the plc via the GOT from the remote PC. So far all i have been tasked with doing is having a central point for production to input build requirements and to view actual o/p (ie 1st period build=108, actual=90 etc) so it's quite removed from a full SCADA system at this point but i guess i can see them wanting to expand it later. I have been looking through the Mitsi website but it's obvious my knowledge on this is limited at this stage, so can any other resource be suggested? Thanks again.

I haven't used the GOT screens yet, but I did a similar thing with Beijers E700 and E900 screens fitted with Ethernet cards. Basically, the site had a mix of old FX PLCs with E700 screens and a newer installation with a Q2AS PLC with E900 EMI. The Scada system wanted data from all the PLCs, but was only linked to the Q2AS by an RS485 link. So, we used the E Terminals ethernet network on a "client /server" basis so that the E700s reported in turn to the E900, which passed the data to the Q2AS, which then moved the incoming data into variable blocks so that the SCADA system could access those registers and find out what was happening in the FX PLCs. Set up and commissioning was "fairly" easy, but required a lot of reading of manuals and some programming in the Q2AS to actually control the the E900 comms to the other E700s. Probably a few days in all, I would think. One thing's for sure, it's not fast. 10 second data updates would be the order of the day, I would think, mainly due to the handshaking .

The GOT1000 units do support a client/server option over Ethernet. So you can use that to get data back and forth between the screens and the PLCs. I would go to www.meau.com if you can (might not work outside the US), and in the Downloads section, pick Manuals, then HMI, then GOT1000. The GOT1000 Connection manual will show you how to connect to the PLCs, (which it sounds like you already have) and the Gateway functions manual deals with the Ethernet client/server, email, and FTP stuff. If you can't get to it, I can add it here.

I am also building a system that include: PC - GOT - PLC via ehernet module. Who know about it, please help me to do it