Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adamriffe

Differences between RSLinx versions

16 posts in this topic

What's the differences between all the different versions of RSLinx?

Lite - Free and only used to connect other software such as RsLogix to PLCs Single Node - all features of Lite and allows DDE and OPC connections for communications between other PC software and one single PLC OEM - The same as single node except allows communications to multiple PLCs Gateway - Same as OEM but other PC's software can make request through it Professional - Bunch of other bells and whistles

I was given that same description for Gateway, just no one could ever tell me how to use it. Then I got busy and actually forgot about it until I started looking into the dashboards again.

I've got two different disks here: RSLinx Classic: Gateway V2.5 RSLinx: RSLinx Enterprise V4 with RSOPC Gateway V2 What's this second one?

This is the RSlinx that is for use with RSView ME. What else I am not sure.

See the table for difference

Nice Table. It does not cover Classic versus Enterperise family differences within RSlinx though.

Its only for Rslinx Classic

The enterprise family is based on the FactoryTalk architecture (read a very different program from the others listed) and is used with SE (distributed) versions of RSView and their newer package families (I think this includes the new Panelviews as BobLFoot pointed out). I'd like to hear posts on peoples experience with this lineup. Edited by Nathan

Do you mean as far as which version of RsLinx we use? I use OEM. Works great for me. Can setup DDE queries and could setup OPC which one day I will break down and learn

The functionality of RSLinx Enterprise is limited compared to RSLinx Classic. We cant alias topics which we need for switching nodes or redundant media in redundant applications. Also I faced a problem in accessing program tags as opposed to controller level tags with Enterprise. These are the problems that come to mind immediately even though I dont remember the details now. Also there are a host of small tools and functionalities that are available with RSLinx Classic that one has got used to over time. These are not available with Enterprise. Whenever possible I would like to go with RSLinx Classic vs Enterprise in its current format in my projects. With Enterprise its a wait and watch policy. Lets see how RA enhances it and how soon.

All the time you need rs linx classic for uploading/downloading monitoring of PLCs Hmis , during firmware flashing rslinx enterprise won't have the above functions

Rs linx classic http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...gr001_-en-e.pdf RSLinx Enterprise http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...gr001_-en-p.pdf

I know this is an old discussion...and I might be able to answer my (new, related) question if I continued at RA's website for some more time (but I've spend about an hour so far): I'm having trouble understanding the architecture -- What is RSLinx versus FactoryTalk? My bottom line question is "what is their OPC Server, and will it talk to a third party OPC Client"? The client is an OPC UA client, not DA, but I'm curious for both third party DA and UA clients. Any help is appreciated.

RSLinx Classic is the mainline OPC DA server for Rockwell Automation controllers and devices; it's been around since Windows 95 and has a great deal of legacy code weighing it down. The Single Node and Professional editions support local OPC DA 2.05 clients, and the Gateway edition supports both local and remote OPC DA 2.05 clients. You can think of RSLinx Enterprise as a "Rockwell-specific data provider" for their FactoryTalk suite of software. It is not itself an OPC Server. A less common OPC server is the combination of RSLinx Enterprise and the FactoryTalk Gateway software. FactoryTalk Gateway is an OPC DA server that exposes data from RSLinx Enterprise and from FactoryTalk View SE visualization software databases to OPC DA 2.05 clients. To my knowledge, RA has no OPC-UA products on the market. My first three choices for an OPC-UA server that had good Rockwell Automation connectivity would be Kepware, Matrikon, and Inductive Automation.

Thank You Ken!