Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajsiyer

1784-PKTX communication problem

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys; How I wish someone like Ron Beaufort was around....You see.. I'm having a problem of intermittent communication with the 1784-PKTX card, attached to the PC as shown in the diagram. In Rs-Linx's RS-Who? window I can see only 5 out of the 8 Plcs on the DH-485 net, that too with the Red-Cross (disconnected status ) circulating round-robin style among them. There are even brief moments when 5 PLCs all appear connected on line. But for most of the time, 2-3 plcs have disconnection and then they re-connect. At times, all appear disconnected for a few seconds after which a few re-connect. On the PC, the OS is Windows-XP and the In-Touch version is 9.5. Earlier there was In-Touch version 7.0 installed on Win-98. AT that time, it was possible to see 7 out of 8 PLCs communicating. Initially, with win-98 & Intouch 7.0, it was possible to up-load the RS-LOGIX programs from the & communicating PLCs. This is something no longer possible.(Baudrate =9600, Parity - odd, stop-bits =1, data bits =8, for RS-Linx and all PLCs on the DH-485 net). The total length of the DH-485 cable will be around 200-250 metres.No termination resistor has been provided, at any 1761-NetAIC coupler or at the end of the bus. A million thanks to the guy who can help out with advise.Surely a lot of beer should we ever meet. Raj S. Iyer PKTX_prob.doc Edited by rajsiyer

I haven't looked at your diagram but from your description, it sounds like you have a classic wiring/termination problem. The standard rules for DH485 are: Grounded at one end, terminated at both. (Note that the termination resistor is built-in to the AIC and you just have to tie into the termination pin) Unique node number for every node Same baud rate and max polled node number for all nodes. Daisy-chained topology, NOT star. I'll bet if you check the above parameters you'll be able to see all your nodes!

Attaboy gravitar!! Wilco. Shall try it now itself. Thanks for your prompt reply. And man I'd like to see you winning that bet! Regards, best wishes for a happy day Raj S. Iyer