Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:15 PM
The Compact Logix is a newer series and is one of the Logix platforms that AB is developing for the future, programming is similar to the Control Logix line.
There are a lot of advantages, faster, cheaper, will be around for a while etc..
and one major disadvantage, you will have to purchase new software, and depending on your situation, additional spares may also be required.
You can read some of the AB hype here: http://www.ab.com/logix/compactlogix/
Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:36 PM
Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:39 PM
1. Smaller footprint. Modules are smaller than SLC modules. No rack is required, just attach modules together.
2. Cheaper. Corresponding modules are cheaper than SLCs, and no rack expense.
3. Tag based programming style versus fixed position addressing. Tag importing into Panelview + or RSView
4. More bang for the buck. 750K memory for L32E versus 32K for 5/05. Double integer length tags. More varied instruction set.
5. Cheaper software. ~$620 for mini version of Logix5000 versus $1250 for logix500.
This post has been edited by pseudoquas: 19 January 2006 - 07:42 PM
Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:36 PM
They give you much more capability. And communications is very easy compared to Micrologix and SLC
But there is a BIG learning curve
Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:25 AM
pseudoquas, on Jan 19 2006, 07:39 PM, said:
Don't forget the Logix needs more memory for a similar program to the SLC, we reckon about 10x so what looks a lot of memory is probably only doubled in real terms.