Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe_Atmos

Upgrading RSLinx Classic/Compatibility with existing RSLogix 500

7 posts in this topic

I am upgrading a system that currently uses RSLinx CLassic Professional (v2.43.01.23) to read/write data from a PLC. As this system was commissioned in 2006, I don't have much information on the PLC, other than it is an Allen Bradley device. I believe that the RSLinx connects to RSLogix 5000 (~v14/v16) on the PLC. My question is, if I purchase RSLinx Classic Gateway (v3.6/3.7) and install it on new hardware, will there be any compatibility issues interfacing with Allen Bradley device from the era of RSLinx CLassic Professional (v2.43.01.23)?

Unfortunately this is a "maybe" answer. RSLinx 3.51 and later introduced a new EDS registration subsystem that is incompatible with RSNetworx software before Version 21. If your system doesn't use RSNetworx, it will probably work with RSLinx Classic 3.x. I don't think that RSLinx Classic 2.43 will recognize a new FactoryTalk Activation, which is what you would get if you bought a Gateway license. So just upgrading the license won't work like it would have with old-fashioned EVRSI activations. The lowest risk thing to do would be to purchase an RSLinx Classic Gateway license but download and install version 2.59, which was the last of version 2.x revisions and should work correctly with 2006-era revisions of RSLogix and other software as well as with FactoryTalk Activation.

Thank you for your reply. Do you known if RSLinx Classic Gateway version 2.59 is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

It's compatible with pretty much everything except Windows 2000

Ken Roach missed one key point in your original question "if I purchase RSLinx Classic Gateway (v3.6/3.7) and install it on new hardware..." You're free to do whatever you want on your new computer. It won't affect any of the existing systems. Get the latest version.

Thanks for the response. So I should not have any trouble interfacing with an Allen Bradley device that is 8 or more years old with RSLinx Classic Gateway v3.7 installed on new hardware?