Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jb61264

HyperTerminal to SLC-500

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to troubleshoot a communication issue between our industrial PC and the PLC (Allen Bradley SLC-500)...basically I want to find out what the "name" of the device is that was used to register its IP address on our network in the past. I believe the IP address registration got messed up at some point and need to get the name that was used for it in the past. I am working with our networking dept to see if they can do this, but also wondered if I could just use HyperTerminal to connect directly and then issue some sort of similar command like is used in networking (IPCONFIG /ALL) to get the information.

The information you need is set in the Channel Configuration. You will need to use RSLogix 500 to view or change this information.

The serial port on the controller typically runs a proprietary command set that interfaces with operator screens or the RSLogix 500 programming and editing tools. It's not a console port and there is no ASCII or text console mode. As far as I know, the SLC-5/05 does not have a Host Name stored in it, just an IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS Server addresses 1 and 2, and a Default Domain Name. You can access those using RSLogix 500 software over the serial port. This isn't necessarily what you're asking, but whenever I need to determine the IP address of an SLC-5/05 controller I just connect to the nearest switch with Wireshark and cycle power to the controller. The ARP packets will show you the IP address of the controller in short order. Allen-Bradley has their own chipsets so the MAC IDs always start with 00:00:BC

So I think what I really need is to obtain the MAC address from the SLC 5/05 (ethernet module)...is there an easy way to do this?

If you pull the processor (which has the Ethernet port), there will be a MAC address on a white label attached to the board. Remember to power down the rack before removing any modules.