denise01

ModBus and Altivar Invertors

51 posts in this topic

Hello, Is it possible to connect Altivar Invertors ( Shneider Telemachanique ) in the same way that you can with the MX2. My plant has a lot of these Invertors and would cost a lot to replace all with MX2. Regards Peter

I do not have experience with these inverters but I would imagine they come with either/both serial/Ethernet interface. If serial you could use an SCU31-V1 card and the Modbus Protocol Macro in the download section. It Ethernet it is probably Modbus TCP - Omron have just released a heap of FBs for Modbus TCP comms.

Ok Bob, Have looked at the downloads looks a bit gobbly do Gook to me but am sure in the course of time I will learn. Regards Peter

If serial Peter many of us use the protocol macro all the time - once on top of it easy. You just needs to download it to the card, set the card up properly and then use PMCR to extract or write data. The first time is the worst but I quite often have to communicate with many devices and have it all setup in a few minutes these days. Ifr I get time - just about to head for a plane - I will post an example but may not have time. If Ethernet I have not used the FBs.

Okay Bob, Yes it will be Serial using the SCU 31-V1. Have a good flight anyway. Regards Peter

Hi Peter - plane cancelled - going later now. Sample attached - 1st section is reading words from a fuel meter - logical port 0, card no 0, port 1. Second section is reading from a Caterpillar generator - several areas to read - logical port 1, card no 0, port 2. There is no error checking used here - not really required on this job. Available by bits in the Protocol Macro. Protocol Macro already loaded to card and card set up for Protocol Macro in the hardware settings. These are all word reads. Hope this helps. Modbus RTU Read Sample.cxp Edited by BobB

What models do you have? The ATV61/71 are very easy to do with Modbus. Some of the other models 31/32 are slightly different so require maybe more instructions to get the same data. The only issue with some of them is that the Modbus port is a RJ45, so you have to buy/make a breakout cable.

Hello Lost Control, We have the 31s 4KW generally. I guess the lead is bought from Altivar. Thanks for the download Bob. I want to understand the programming side as I am going to linkek them to our NS5 Screens Regards Peter

It has been a while since I have done a ATV31, we normally use the 61/71 as standard. You will need to understand the basics of the protocol structure to implement this in your system. Simply taking Bobs example will not help you. The Modbus Easy Master would be the best implementation for you as it is all done, you just need to plug in the registers you want to read & it does it for you. How many registers do you want to read from the ATV31's? I'm going to assume that you only want to read & not write, as these are already running & you want to add in more diagnostic information?

Hello Lost Control, I was thinking along the lines of HSP and LSP, braking parameters. Monitoring Current levels and of course fault diagnostics. Will take a look at the Modbus Easy Master. Regards Peter

The Easy Master is on the CP1L or H only, not CJ. If using CJ, the protocol macro option is your best bet. Just out of interest, if they were Omron inverters then 1 pre-written FB does everything for you... Pp

It can be used for CJ & PMCR as well. Just the implementation is slightly different.. Maybe the 'Easy-Modbus for CP1L/H' could be removed (it may even be disabled), but this code is very easy for setting up single read/writes of items. For Block Read/Writes, it is not the best for as each transaction must be done individually. For Peter, I would recommend the Easy-Modbus code. The problem with FM's (& moreso the pre-written ones, is that they are very bloated & dependent on PLC type, can take up a lot of memory. More 2c

Hello Peter, We're still on the process of completing the installation for a new machine that have Schneider ATV312 inverters using MODBUS communication. I used Protocol Macro for the MODBUS communication. And as Bob said, it can be difficult at first but after some time and testings then should be OK . I just find the communication speed (specifically feedback for change of value) to be slow even at higher baud rate as the machine have only 1 CS1W-SCU-31-V1 to communicate with 16 E5CN Temp Controllers and 2 ATV312 which will be increased to 7 units by next week.

Hello Jojo, I am now in posseession of the SCU 31 I take it that you use the Modbus Protocol macro and download it to the card using CX Protocol. Do you have an example of the ladder diagram for inputting the Low Speed Parameter. It looks from the example that you use DM area D5000 up to the end of what you want to read. I have an example of CJ1M to MX2 but not sure with Altivar. Regards Peter

Peter, Have you looked at the Easy Modbus download yet? There is a help file (albeit for omron inverters), but all you need to do is change the registers you want to read from & it should work. Do you know the parameter no's that you are wanting to read from the ATV31's? Are they contiguous? If not, then Easy Modbus is your best option, if they are contiguous, then maybe customisation is more efficient. How many inverters will you connect to each serial line? Note: Jojo is using the new ATV312, whereas you have the ATV31. The 31's are the old Toshiba drives, whereas the 312 are schneider, so the parameters sets/no's will be completely different. I will try & dig out the 31 PMCR that I did a few years ago.

Many Thanks Lost Control, I started work on the project lat night, quite daunting to be honest. I downloaded the Protocol Macro in to the SCU 31 V1 card. connected the easy modbus programme to my CJ1M PLC. I turned my card to F as recommended which I assume is unit 15. I then dowloaded the IOs in to the PLC, problem is when I connect the Protocol programme the IOs in that says that the unit is 14. Am I wrong calling setting F 15. In answer to you question Lost Control I really just want to Start and Stop and control the Frequency initially. As I learn I can add more. I was a bit confused by adding to the Data Memory area D5004 is the modbus address in Hex, MX2 addresses are in Hex but Altivar 31 not too sure. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Peter

Can you post or PM what you have done so far? I've found the project that I did, pretty sure this start/stop & speed control as well as current but will confirm later. I'll try & find the ATV31 manual as well. The project I did didnt use easy Modbus, but that is ok..

Hello Lost Control. My programme is at work. I basically used the easy solution CJ1M Programme, fitted the SCU 31 V1 card, set up the card with the settings given in the solution. It says to turn the card to setting F. I then used CX Protocol to transfer the easy solution in to the card. I intend to use a NS 5 Screen to control Altivar 31 Frequency. Not really bothered about too many more Parameters at the moment. I take it the Inverter is only controlled by Modbus for the Parameters you set. I have got the Altivar 31 Modbus Variables doc if you need it. I think if I saw a piece of programming it would assisst me greatly. I am the only engineer willing to learn how to control Altivars the rest of our plants are spending a lot of money fitting MX2s. The sample MX2 programmes are not designed for Altivars though. Kind Regards Peter

Sorry Lost Control. Forgot to mention I intend to run 4 Altivar 31s off each programme. Regards

Hello again Lost Control, You mentioned the word Conguous in the settings. Not sure what that means. In the Altivar Modbus address for exanple is given as 3062 is that in a digital foremat or is it in Hes as the MR2 addresses are given. Regards Peter

Hello Lost Control. This is the programme for Altivar 31. I have downloaded the Protocol Macro in to the SCU31 V1 Card. Looking at the Modbus Master info I think I have to put the Modbus addresses in to the data Memory area starting at D5000 and then programme in the PMCR section. Is that right. I think if I get a pointer then hopefuly I can get a hang of it. Regards peter CP1LCP1HCJ1CJ2CS1ModbusSolutionV211good010912.cxp ATV31comunicationVriable.pdf

With the Modbus Easy master from PMCR, there is a excel coding setup sheet, that can also generate the ladder code for address setup. I normally install the ladder as you have posted in its own task, then create a routine in another task called setup. In here, I paste the generated setup code. Did you download the excel setup file? I will have a look at the ATV31 manual later & try & post an example back.

Not sure what you mean Lost Control, an example would nelp me will have a look anyway. Regards Peter

If you downloaded the Easy Modbus from the downloads section, you would of got all the other information as well, including the coding sheet & instruction example for the MX range. Attached is a quick knock up of what I would do.. There is the coding sheet, then the setup of this in the PLC file, as well as some example code for starting/stopping the inverter.. There are 2x Read Commands & a single write command per unit (2 in total), reading/writing 2x registers each message. NOTE: This is untested, normally I start with a single unit & get the basics of what I want working, then duplicate through the rest... You may want to not use the example start/stop code as this may not be correct, you will have to test yourself for these particular drives.. ATV31.zip

Many Thanks Lost Control will work on tomorrow at work. Regards Peter