Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drluggo

REmote I/O Rack & Group setup

3 posts in this topic

I have been struggling this for weeks. I have read the manuals up and down an there are not any exapmles of when I have two 32 DI modules next to each other and then two DO modules next to each other. Here is what I am thinking: SLC 13-slot chassis with 1747-ASB in slot 0. Lets assume that I have properly addresed slots 1-4 as Rack 1 and slots 5-8 as Rack 2 and using 1/2 slot addressing. So for rack 3 I have: Slot 9 = 1746-IB32 Slot 10 = 1746-IB32 Slot 11 = 1746-OB32 Slot12 = 1746-OB32 Please do not tell me to rearrange the cards because I cannot due to drawings, etc. I am communicating with this using a CLX and lets assume that the Rack is defined as R3 in my CLX. Is this how I access my I/O? Slot 9 - R3:I.Data[0].xx and R5:I.Data[1].xx Slot 10 - R3:I.Data[2].xx and R5:I.Data[3].xx Slot 11 - R3:O.Data[4].xx and R5:O.Data[5].xx Slot 12 - R3:O.Data[6].xx and R5:O.Data[7].xx Nowhere in any document that I have seen is it clear about what to do if you have multiple input cards next to each other or mulitple output cards next to each other. If you know of a document that explains, this please let me know.

I have attached a Visio of the physical rack with two options. In the first option I shuffle some of the cards which I would rather not do. In the second option I leave hte original configuration. I completely do not understand why I cannot leave the rack with the cards as is and access it that way. On the diagram of the existing configuration, I have also shown at least according to my understanding which input and output words on the ASB card will be used. From what I understand this is just flat memory of 32 In and 32 Out words and does not care how you break up your racks and groups. Please helo, if I had a SLC laying around I would try this and figure it out, but I don't. Am I way off on this? IO Options.pdf

This one is so messy that what you've done looks close but I have no idea if you're right. I highly suggest you talk to your local AB rep. Check on Tech Note #19047 as well which speaks to this specific issue. And if it was me, fixing the drawing is a simple matter of editting some drawing element text. It's sometimes annoying but not unusual to have wire numbering not necessarily follow the old PLC wiring especially in a conversion. Tell your draftsman to get over it, since he/she already has to relabel the ASB slot anyways.