• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 7 and RSLinx working? Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   waterboy 

• 0 Memory Remaining
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: MrPLC Member
    United States
I have win7 and installed RSLinx 2.54 and RSLogix 5. Both installed fine but when I start RSLinx it doesnt display on the screen or in the systray.
Win7 is offiially unsupported but rockwell but surely someone here has gotten it to work. Its not that different from Vista (shudder) so I feel it should work.
This is a wierd symptom because the app will run in taskmanager but will not display on the screen.
Also I sometimes get a new notification in Win7 that says "the application is trying to display a message" and when I view the "message" its the splash screen. Then the splash screen closes and then nothing.

Sound familiar to anyone?
School taught me a lot of stuff, but mostly it taught me how to get ready in 15 minutes

User is offline   Armadillo852 

• Sparky
  • PipPipPip
    United States
I just saw this on AB's forums. Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot.

I had to turn the "User Account Control Settings" to never notify. Now it all works.

My user account was already set to administrator and I tried sever times to run the software "as adminstrator", but nothing worked.

Hope this will help others.

This post has been edited by Armadillo852: 09 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Ken Roach 

• Propeller Head
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
RSLinx Classic 2.55 was what I've been told works best in Windows Vista and in Windows 7. RSLinx Classic 2.56 was released just a couple of days ago but I haven't read the release notes yet.

User is offline   Mark Nash 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States

View Postwaterboy, on Dec 9 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

I have win7 and installed RSLinx 2.54 and RSLogix 5. Both installed fine but when I start RSLinx it doesnt display on the screen or in the systray.
Win7 is offiially unsupported but rockwell but surely someone here has gotten it to work. Its not that different from Vista (shudder) so I feel it should work.
This is a wierd symptom because the app will run in taskmanager but will not display on the screen.
Also I sometimes get a new notification in Win7 that says "the application is trying to display a message" and when I view the "message" its the splash screen. Then the splash screen closes and then nothing.

To get things working on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine I did the following:

RSLinx Classic 2.52

Run the main program using XP SP2 compatibility mode

I know I did some tricks for RS Logix 500 as well, but I don't remember what. Something to do with stopping a service to enable it to start

Hope this helps in some small way

User is offline   PcRider 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States

View Postwaterboy, on Dec 9 2009, 03:43 PM, said:

I got the info from the web myself, but it worked for me. If you browse to the installation files, right click on the setup files (I did all the files named setup.exe) go to properties, then compatibility, then check run in compatibility mode for windows XP Pro it will run once installed.

Having said that keep in mind these things about my setup, I am runnning windows7 home premium, and I installed the free version of rslogix 500. The free version does not require validation through factory talk, and I have read that factory talk messes up validation somehow using this scheme. If you have the same setup as what I have, it should work though. It will probably work with other situations as well, but I can't even guess what will, and what won't work.

PcRider

User is offline   paulengr 

• Propeller Head
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    United States

View PostPcRider, on Jan 24 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

Having said that keep in mind these things about my setup, I am runnning windows7 home premium, and I installed the free version of rslogix 500. The free version does not require validation through factory talk, and I have read that factory talk messes up validation somehow using this scheme. If you have the same setup as what I have, it should work though. It will probably work with other situations as well, but I can't even guess what will, and what won't work.

PcRider

"XP Compatibility mode" is a virtual machine, but the network drivers are not done very well, hence your issues with getting it to work. I highly recommend that you go with a much better virtual machine such as VMWare, Citrix XenServer, or Sun VirtualBox. All are full virtual machines running on open source code without any questionable Microsoft hacks and bugs.

User is offline   BobLfoot 

• The Wizard
  • Group: MrPLC Admin
    United States

View Postpaulengr, on Jan 26 2010, 05:45 PM, said:

View PostPcRider, on Jan 24 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

PcRider

"XP Compatibility mode" is a virtual machine, but the network drivers are not done very well, hence your issues with getting it to work. I highly recommend that you go with a much better virtual machine such as VMWare, Citrix XenServer, or Sun VirtualBox. All are full virtual machines running on open source code without any questionable Microsoft hacks and bugs.

I can vouch for the operability of Sun Virtual Box Guesting Windows XP on Win 7 Host, but not with a Rockwell Product Yet.
BobLfoot

"Poor Planning on your part does not a crisis on my part make"

User is offline   Michael Smith 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States
RSLinx will not install on Windows 7 64-bit. I don't think Rockwell currently supports any 64-bit OS, but I may be wrong. However, its getting harder to find any new laptops that don't have Win7 64-bit, so I can tell you what I've done to make it work.

In contrast to what some others have said on this post, "Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode" work excellent in Windows 7. I tried to do a virtual XP in "Virtual PC 2007" in Vista, and it was a joke. Always had problems. However, I'm using "XP Mode" in Windows 7 now and it always works great. It's actually hard to believe that Microsoft did something right. Also, keep in mind that "Windows XP Compatibilty Mode" and "Windows XP Mode" are two COMPLETELY different things. "Compatibility Mode" is when you tell Windows 7 to try and run the program with the settings that should be compatible with an older OS (such as Windows XP). I've had luck with this for non-Rockwell products, but this never works for Rockwell products and it didn't under Vista either. "Windows XP Mode" is a virtual OS that you run through "Virtual PC" (Not Virtual PC 2007, just Virtual PC).

1. Download and install Virtual PC and XP Mode from Microsoft's website. They are easy to find and there are easy instructions. They only work on Win7 Professional or Ultimate.
2. Run Windows XP Mode and install RSLinx.
3. If you are not using DHCP for your laptop to get its IP address, then you have to set an IP address for your Network card in Win7 and ALSO in WinXP Mode. In your Virtual PC settings, set up 2 network drivers. The first should be the default "NAT" (which passes through your internet from Win7 to the virtual OS), and the second should be the physical Network card you are using. Specify an IP address in Win7, and a different IP address in XP Mode. It doesn't matter what they are as long as they are different and in the same subnet as your PLC.
4. Then install RSLogix, RSView, FTView or anything else that you want to use in XP Mode as well.

I've been using this for months and it works great.

Also, here is another tip - after installing FTView ME (for programming Panelview Plus) it is not going to allow you to run the program because it says you can't set the FT directory on a "remote machine". This is because XP Mode uses terminal services to do all of the nice features that pass through your drives and networking from Win7. All you have to do is go up to the Virtual PC menu and select "Disable Integration Features". Then set the FT directory. Then select "Enable Integration Features" and you are set to go! (Integration Features are in the "Tools" menu which is only available when you are running XP mode in a window and NOT full screen. So if you don't see it, then go out of full screen view to enable the menu first.)
Signature

User is offline   PLC_man_Stan 

• Sparky
  • PipPipPip
    United Kingdom
I have just had my windows 7 laptop and i have tried installing virtual PC. This works with linx fine and logix 5, 500 and 5000 install ok, teh issue is when you try and activate them with the factory talk activation centre.

I had a lot of trouble with this, so in the end i installed Linx 2.5.6 which works great with W7
Logix 5 - V 7.40
Logix500 - V 8.20
Logix 5000 - V 16

and they all work liek a charm. i'll keep you posted if i get any funny business but i'm very impressed at the moment

User is offline   Pulsar2003 

• Sparky
  • PipPipPip
    Canada
[quote name='Michael Smith' date='Feb 22 2010, 02:19 PM' post='91871']
RSLinx will not install on Windows 7 64-bit. I don't think Rockwell currently supports any 64-bit OS, but I may be wrong. However, its getting harder to find any new laptops that don't have Win7 64-bit, so I can tell you what I've done to make it work.

In contrast to what some others have said on this post, "Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode" work excellent in Windows 7. I tried to do a virtual XP in "Virtual PC 2007" in Vista, and it was a joke. Always had problems. However, I'm using "XP Mode" in Windows 7 now and it always works great. It's actually hard to believe that Microsoft did something right. Also, keep in mind that "Windows XP Compatibilty Mode" and "Windows XP Mode" are two COMPLETELY different things. "Compatibility Mode" is when you tell Windows 7 to try and run the program with the settings that should be compatible with an older OS (such as Windows XP). I've had luck with this for non-Rockwell products, but this never works for Rockwell products and it didn't under Vista either. "Windows XP Mode" is a virtual OS that you run through "Virtual PC" (Not Virtual PC 2007, just Virtual PC).

Hello,

I had no problems installing RSLogix500 on my Win7. All is perfect. The keys are always on the 3.5 disk on the "A" drive. To connect to the PLC I use a USB-RS232 converter (Belkin F5U109). Unfortunately there are no drivers for Win7. ( I used to have this set up under XP).

I run on the VIrtual PC. The set up was as easy as on XP. The only problem is that when I run RSLogix500 the software doesn't look for the "A" drive. This causes the software to halt.

I checked through the My Computer and and found the 3.5 Drive "A". Right click. Explore. I get the message to insert a disk in the Drive "A". The problem is that the disk is in the drive.

Remember that on Win7 it worked and not on the virtual PC.

I want to keep the keys always on the disk and not move it. Someone suggested that I copied the disk to a portable USB memory stick and then use the move options to move the keys there. I wonder how reliable these memories are?

A few years back I purchased this official copy with the original cd and disk on ebay. I have no idea if the copy was registered so I don't want to ruin my possession. Haha.

Thanks.

User is offline   BachPhi 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States

View Postwaterboy, on 09 December 2009 - 03:43 PM, said:

RSlinx 2.57 currently targeted for September 2010 will be compatible with windows 7

User is offline   NorOntScout 

• PipPip
    Canada
I agree with Micheal Smith.

Works have been using it for a couple months now.

Pulsar2003 transfer your licenses from the Floppy to a USB. Virtual machine has no problems with the USB memory. I actully copied my keys to the virtual machine and have not had any problems to date.

User is offline   ThomasM195 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States

View PostMichael Smith, on 22 February 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

1. Download and install Virtual PC and XP Mode from Microsoft's website. They are easy to find and there are easy instructions. They only work on Win7 Professional or Ultimate.
2. Run Windows XP Mode and install RSLinx.
3. If you are not using DHCP for your laptop to get its IP address, then you have to set an IP address for your Network card in Win7 and ALSO in WinXP Mode. In your Virtual PC settings, set up 2 network drivers. The first should be the default "NAT" (which passes through your internet from Win7 to the virtual OS), and the second should be the physical Network card you are using. Specify an IP address in Win7, and a different IP address in XP Mode. It doesn't matter what they are as long as they are different and in the same subnet as your PLC.
4. Then install RSLogix, RSView, FTView or anything else that you want to use in XP Mode as well.

I've been using this for months and it works great.

Also, here is another tip - after installing FTView ME (for programming Panelview Plus) it is not going to allow you to run the program because it says you can't set the FT directory on a "remote machine". This is because XP Mode uses terminal services to do all of the nice features that pass through your drives and networking from Win7. All you have to do is go up to the Virtual PC menu and select "Disable Integration Features". Then set the FT directory. Then select "Enable Integration Features" and you are set to go! (Integration Features are in the "Tools" menu which is only available when you are running XP mode in a window and NOT full screen. So if you don't see it, then go out of full screen view to enable the menu first.)

XP Mode works perfectly for me EXCEPT that it does not handle my floppy drive properly. I own a legal copy of RSLogix 500 7.0 and my activation is still on a floppy disk. XP Mode accesses my normal disks just fine (an internal floppy drive on my new desktop -- installed just to test this; and a USB floppy drive tried on both this desktop and a notebook machine). In all tests, XP Mode destroys the Activation floppy disk. The disk is never usable again. I'm lucky that I was able to find an old DOS utility to make a copy of my activation diskette before attempting this in Windows 7 64-bit & XP Mode.

User is offline   sizzle987 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    United States
I am new to the forum and I just resolved the same problem that I was having. I was out in the field and could not open Linx to edit my RSWho to add the IP addresses that I needed so I freaked out.

In the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

You will find an application named RSLINXCP.exe and it is the Linx Launch Control Panel. Stop the service if it is currently running and then un-check the box making it "Always Run As Service". I reopened Linx and it came up properly and is just like it was on WIN XP.

My machine is Win7 Pro 64-bit.

This may have been posted elsewhere, and if so, my apologies.

User is offline   daba 

• Sparky
  • PipPipPip
    United Kingdom
The biggest joke here is that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have taken the route to make an O/S that can't run applications that their previous versions can.

It's like BP/Shell etc. replacing the fuel in the pumps to something that your car won't run on.

At the end of the day, the function of an operating system is to allow applications to run, and give them the support they need.

Windows is an Operating System, but it exhibits the properties of a God
  • Former trainer with RA in UK. Now offering bespoke training in ControlLogix and SLC to any level. PM me for full details.
  • a-b train ltd. - ControlLogix & SLC500 Training
  • visit the web-site for more information and contact details
tel: 07506 73 9999

User is offline   Nilesh Tiwari 

• Hi, I am New!
  • Pip
    India
Windows 7 is an OS in which Rs Linx is installed.
RS Linx is that communication software which provide a communication link btween PC & PLC.
to install rs Linx in windowes 7 & to synchronise it with the os, some extra efforts has to be made while if the os is windows 98 then there is no need of doing such settings . It automatic establishes the link with the os .

PLC Training

This post has been edited by Nilesh Tiwari: 31 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

User is offline   Ken Roach 

• Propeller Head
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Praise for Windows 98 is what I'm looking for when I select a training provider. Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users