Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jan.krajniak

Using CFII card to store tag values/trend data

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone: I am back with more questions ... sorry :). My team has decided, that it is a good idea to store tag values from our logic (such as the value of RPM, pressure, ...) on a CFII card (we are not using the official 1784-CF64 card, but a 512MB Platinum card from SanDisk). My understanding of the PLC logic design is enough to design a working control mechanism (very basic :) ), but I am very unfamiliar with instructing the PLC to do "external operations". If I wish to store the values of certain tags with a time index in a database (organized by time/date index for example), can I use some of the file functions? If so, how do I set the PLC to save the tags on the CF card (for that manner, can the PLC be set to read the logic from the CF card in case the program is lost when cycling power?). I understand that a complete answer would be to long and complicated to explain, so if you could at least point me in the direction of a manual/tutorial? (I couldn't find any), I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot! Jan

This can be done with ver 16 only and only for L6x controllers Don't use ver 13 application as it causes data corruption If you have ver 16 installed, the search samples folder for user manual, application core and sample files. Logix-AP007B-EN-P.pdf CF_Read_Write.ACD CF_Read_Write_Example.ACD I believe that the same application will work with L6x firmware ver 15.4 (only!), but you are on your own here. Edited by Contr_Conn

Be carefull, the sample programs probably won't work. Rockwell changed the Slot of the CLX processor (if you compare it with the same sample in a previous version like 14) but they didn't change the Destination for all of the Message instructions, they changed only one of them. The Destination is "1, 2" but should be "1, 0" in my opinion.

Above warning is incorrect: Routine D_CF_initialization writes Contoller slot number to all messages 7 messages, 7 MOV instructions. path will be 1,0 only if controller is in slot 0, if controller is in slot 2, it will be 1,2 Edited by Contr_Conn

Thank you both for your reply! However, I am still in a little bit of a pickle here: I did search my help/demo options before I posted my question, and didn't find anything. When you posted the two file names for the examples I though I missed it, so I went back and searched my whole computer. It seems like those two files did not come included with my RSLogix 5000. Therefore, I was wondering, would it be possible for any of you to send me those two files? My email is krajniak@ufl.edu. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. Jan

If you install ver 16 correctly, these files will be there I will not email them bacause you must install ver 16 anyway to use them Edited by Contr_Conn

Contr_Conn: Thanks a lot for your help! I only have version 15 right now, and whether v.16 will be made available to me depends on whether the company that is sponsoring my teams project decides to get 16. At least now I have another argument supporting my claim that they need to get maintenance on their license so that we can get version 16 :). Again, thanks a lot!! Jan quote name='Contr_Conn' date='Mar 16 2007, 05:56 PM' post='51583'] If you install ver 16 correctly, these files will be there I will not email them bacause you must install ver 16 anyway to use them

That explains why you don't have these files Edited by Contr_Conn

Hello I'am using an CompactLogix L31, ver. 15.4 I have setup rutine for reading and writing to CFcard, and it works fine. I downloaded the sample "Read_Write_CF.ACD" and change few things.

You are on your own, Ver 16 application never passed tests with compactlogix. New (v16) and old (v13) application will cause data loss with CompactLogix as clearly stated by RA. Also if you are using old (v13) application - it is under Product Service Advisory that tells you to stop it using immidiately.