Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plule

Help with servo drive programmable outputs

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm stuck with a simple problem : I need to manage a drive (R88D) and control its programmable outputs (named R-OUT1 and R-OUT2). The usecase is that the motor controls an unreversible pump and both outputs are supposed to control the movement direction. I'm able to access these two bits via the I/O map (bits 16 and 17 of the output "Physical Output"), HOWEVER as soon as I link a sysmac studio axis to this drive, the output "Psysical Output" in the I/O map isn't accessible anymore (as it is supposed to be managed by the sysmac studio axis). Once the axis linked to the drive, Sysmac Studio's axis system doesn't seems to offer a way to access these variables, and I can't find a configuration that fits my usecase. So I can either manage the outputs or the drive but not both. Another solution would be to manage the drive myself without the axis system, but I've not been successful in this direction (and it seems to be a lot of work for a simple problem), but since I don't need to do anything fancy with the motor, this might be the solution. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

You have to use SDO commands to do this. I wrote the attached code below a while back. This should be what you want. Turn on the Turn_On_Out1 and Turn_On_Out2 bits to turn the drive outputs on as shown below: You must also configure Pn410.1, Pn410.2, Pn410.3, Pn411.1, Pn411.2 and Pn411.3 as shown below: Here is the NJ code: Output SDO Testing.zip It was created in v1.02, but can easily be changed to 1.09. I left it as 1.02 because I am unsure of what version you are using.

Thanks a lot, I learned a lot about the SDOs! I just embedded it in a FB, I attached it if someone is interested (with a small variation, I think quick variations of the input could leave an output in the wrong state). We're almost there, but strangely enough the outputs only deliver 0.24V when active... It might be a wiring problem, we're looking into it. Have a nice day and thanks again. edit: It was a wiring problem, it works like a charm now :) SDOTest.zip Edited by plule

I am glad that it is working, your concern about unintentionally leaving an output in the wrong state could certainly be valid. I should have warned you that I did not extensively test this, I just wrote it up quickly for a customer as an example.

Maybe is interesting to remark another possibility, and it is to use Servo PDO's. In the past the MCE (Motion Control Engine) of NJ Sysmac was exclusive owner of Servo PDO mapping. Recent firmwares allow to map unused PDO's for Read/Write. PDOs (Process Data) are refreshed each EtherCAT cycle like the rest of NX Sysmac I/Os, so no need of SDO (Service Traffic). In the EtherCAT menu, sellect the G5 slave and press the button "Edit PDO Map Settings" there you can choose an Editable PDO mapping for Outputs, then you can add PDO's in your case Object 0x60FE01 (Physical Outputs). Then will be possible to assign a variable in the I/O map even if the Servodrive is declared as an MCE Axis. Notice that this possibility of mappign PDO's is not possible for all objects, since some PDO's are still exclusivelly owned by MCE.

Nice, it would be quite cleaner. As you say, since I updated to Sysmac 1.10 (from 1.08), it lets me map a variable to the physical outputs even when an axis manage the drive. However, even if it shows no error or warning while compiling or transfering, it doesn't seems to work. (physical outputs stays at low). The unit version of our NJ is 1.06, is it too old? Is it upgradable? (I can't find a complete history of revisions nor how to update the firmware) Thanks.

Firmware is not field upgradeable. And your NJ may be too old to allow the naming of the devices in the I/O Map window. The list of functions by firmware version can be found in the NJ Series manuals... W502 is the instruction reference manual, and Appendix 7 lists changes to functions and function blocks by version. W501 is the NJ CPU software manual, and it also offers a list in Appendix 12.

NJ firmware is field upgradeable. Part number NJ301FW109STD gets you an SD card. Omron can do this for you, aswell. Pp