Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I Believe I can Fly

RSLinx Enterprise

5 posts in this topic

Hi there: Does anyone here know what's the real differences between RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise? From what i know, RSView ME need to use Enterprise as communication purpose, what about RSView SE? Can Classic do the same thing? I know RSLinx Classic has its own big family of 7 menbers with different function capability: Lite, OEM, Single-node, Professional, Gateway, SDK and for RSView, is it right RSLogix5/500/5000 cannot work without a certain version of Classic? Thanks a lot!

Off the top of my head, there are several differences between RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic: RSLinx Enterprise is designed primarily for communicating with FactoryTalk enabled products; therefore it works well with RSView ME, RSView SE, and RSSql, to name a few. However, it is *not* a true OPC server (like RSLinx Classic) Also, RSLinx Enterprise was designed with ControlLogix in mind, so communication with ControlLogix is optimized. Both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise can be used with RSView ME or SE Regarding the operation of RSLogix software with RSLinx Classic, any version of the software (including the free Lite version, which is bundled with RSLogix) can be used to upload and download programs to a PLC, SLC, etc. However, if you want OPC communications or other advanced features, one of the other RSLinx Classic versions needs to be purchased. This Rockwell technote describes some of the differences between the versions of RSLinx Classic. Rick

It is unfortunate that AB called "RSLinx Enterprise" what they did. It is not RS-Linx. It has nothing to do with RS-Linx. It would have been better to call it just "Enterprise" or something else. RS View SE works with RS-Linx "Classic". RS-Linx is the same product no matter what version you "buy". The only thing that changes is the features that you get with the license you load. If you don't have a license at all, you get RS-Linx "lite". This will work with any version of RS-Logix or it can work with RS-View but not both at the same time (at least as of RS-View 32). But at least with the current versions I know that it will run with multiple copies of RS-Logix (even for different platforms) simultaneously. This all works through a proprietary interface that AB does not share with their competitors. If you buy an upgraded license, you can get other features. For instance there is a "C" interface that AB's competitors (Wonderware, GE Fanuc) use in the OEM version. Also in the same version you can configure the OPC server interface as long as it is talking to a local program (not remote access), which is what AB is pushing to use and obsolete the "C" interface. The "Gateway" version opens up the OPC server and also allows you to route from one RS-Linx version to another. For instance if you had a PC with a "KT card" (an interface to AB's proprietary DH+ network), other PC's on your Ethernet could use that PC as a bridge onto the DH+ PLC network. The "professional" version allows you to view the PLC ladders (without comments :( ) directly from within RSLinx without paying for an RS-Logix license. On the other hand, Enterprise doesn't do any of this stuff. It really has nothing to do with RS-Linx except that it is what AB brands as a PLC/Panelview interfacing product.

Thanks for your help! Now I got something in my mind: RSLinx Classic is a must in at least two occasions that RSLinx Enterprise cannot help: 1. is for RS-Logix5/500/5000 to download/upload program to/from controllers.(That's should what happened in most cases.) 2. is when we need to communicate with 3rd party product like Intouch, S7300, Classic is a indispensable tools used as a open OPC Server.(Is it the same function as of IOServer of Intouch?) RSLinx Enterprise is no more than a proprietary com interface that works in FactoryTalk plantform only(or is preferred by AB because of optimized Logix data transfer). 1. RSLinx Enterprise is a must only when for RSView ME system configuration, like PanelView+, Versaview CE. 2. If for SE, we don't have to install Enterprise if we're not using HMI like PanelView or Versaview CE. However of course we may have better communication performance with Logix controller when we installed Enterprise. In this case, Enterprise is not necessary but for better performance only. The following question is how to purchurse RSLinx Enterprise if required. Is it a component of RSView SE Studio/ RSView ME ? You're really of great help!

If you have purchased RSView Studio for RSView ME only, then RSLinx Enterprise is included free with Studio. However, if you purchased RSView Studio for RSView SE (which can be used to create both ME and SE applications, BTW), then you have to purchase separate license(s) for RSLinx Enterprise. Rick