Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimdi4

Using EVMOVEW to move the activation from the USB Flash Drive onto the Harddrive

6 posts in this topic

I cannot seem to get this to work...I tried to format the USB flash drive to FAT (on my PC with Win2k) and then when I move the flash drive to the laptop (XP), nothing gets moved. Note: My new laptop has XP Pro with SP2. I tried to format the USB flash drive to FAT32 (on my PC with Win2k) and then when I move the flash drive to the laptop, nothing gets moved. I tried to format the USB flash drive to NTFS, (which I made a decision to do based on what didn't work so far, and because when you try to format a USB flash drive on an XP machine the only choice on the format is NTFS) and then when I move the flash drive to the laptop (XP), the activation gets moved. Now it seems I feel something is working here, until I run RSLogix 5000 Ver 16, and It asks to be activated....Why is it asking to be activated if I moved the activation already? SNERKEL- from a previous thread made this suggestion: I followed the instructions from AB tech-noted ID 31319 see below....I had tried 3 different USB mem sticks as well...anyone do this with any success? If so, what mem stick and format did you use? .......I'm at a loss right now..... Allen Bradley Knowledge Base Note ID 31319: A special build of the EVMOVE Program has been created in response to the growing number of PC's and Laptops that are created without a Floppy Drive. The steps below will describe the appropriate way to move an activation from a master (floppy) disk, or Hard Drive to a USB Flash Drive. Format the USB Flash Drive to FAT32 FAT or NTFS formats on the flash drive are not recommended and has not been proven to work well with this procedure Make sure any information is copied off of the Flash Drive BEFORE the format. You can check the current format of a Flash Drive by right clicking it in Windows Explorer and selecting Properties. Download the EVMOVECF and the EVMOVEW Utilities onto the USB Flash Drive These files can be found within this technote (see below) Use EVMOVECF to move the activation from the Master (floppy) disk, or harddrive, to the USB Flash Drive EVMOVECF looks and operates just like EVMOVEW, the difference is that EVMOVECF is designed to recognize Compact Flash Drives. Use EVMOVEW to move the activation from the USB Flash Drive onto the Harddrive of the designated machine Catalog Number: Edited by jimdi4

Try mapping the USB drive as a Network drive. Then use the original EVMOVE command. This has always worked for me in the past. Edited by mvandyke

Thanks, I think I'lll go that route, but instead of using the USB drive, I'll just map the Floppy drive, from my PC, as a network drive, on my laptop...that way I'll try to just EVMOVE the files to the laptop from the floppy drive on my PC. My AB guy is baffled and it looks like what you recommended will work...I'll give it a try.. Edited by jimdi4

The CHECKDRIVES variable indicates which drives to READ. So for instance if you have CHECKDRIVES=H Then it will only check on the H drive and then give up. If you have.... CHECKDRIVES=CHD Then it will check C, then H, then D, in that order. Even though you are probably doing EVMOVE correctly, the fact that you forced all the license checking to look ONLY at your H drive is probably the problem. We have a LOT of network drives at work. If something goes wrong, you can be sitting there for 5-10 minutes waiting for the license scan. So we always set this variable. Usually I use: CHECKDRIVES=WCA ...which means check W (where we store the keys on a network drive), then C, and finally punt and try the floppy (A) if it exists.

I am confused by the EVMOVEW reference. You should only need to use EVMOVECF. Andybr

You can also quicken your licence checking if you put your local HDD first in the 'CHECKDRIVES=' unless ALL your licences are over the network.