Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Datman

RS232 comms cable, ML1100

10 posts in this topic

hi guys im wanting to wire in some comms to my micrologix 1100. Just wondering if there is a pinout available for the 8 pin DIN setup, Im sick of sifting through the rockwell site i cant find it! Also what style plug will fit the socket on the PLC... I bought an 8 pin mini-DIN plug, the pin locations are correct but case style wont interlock with the socket... and i dont want to buy an AB cable, or do i have to??

I am not at home or work to get my cables but you may check here.... http://shopv2.mrplc.com/product_info.php/p...4dbf51b27146844 Hope this helps

I make my own cable (1761-CBL-PM02) with a apple serial cable. For use it, you just need to remove two notch on 8 pin mini DIN connector with a Dremel cutting disk. It's very easy to do it and this cable is very cheap. Clic on the link for see a old answer about allen bradley cable pinout. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry54407

The MicroLogix 1100 has both RS232 and RS485 signals on its Channel 0 serial port, so you'll want to be persistent enough to find the correct pinout. Take the time to set up an account at support.rockwellautomation.com and look up Knowledgebase Answer ID # 38808. Or just search on the keywords "MicroLogix 1100 pinout". Or you could just buy the proper cable. I like not having to fiddle around with tiny pins or worrying about my strain relief; I'm trying to automate a system, not save forty bucks.

so the 1100 has a different pinout from the 1000, 1200, and 1500? Don't tell me they did that and kept the same connector. I'd like to think those guys have learned something about connector ambiguity by now!

i don't know if the port pinout and specs have been changed but standard 1761-CBL-PM02 works with it quite well. so far i've done few jobs and love this little plc. if they didn't limit the number of explansion cards to 4 this thing would kill other micrologix plcs.

Customers: "I don't want to buy that 1761-NET-AIC module anymore; you need to build an isolated RS485 port into the next MicroLogix" Rockwell: "Well, OK, but we're either going to have to use a totally custom connector, or eliminate hardware handshaking and the +24VDC accessory power pin" Customers: "Use the same connector. We don't need the 24VDC accessory power because the new MicroLogix will have built-in RS485 and Ethernet, so the only accessory that you need power for is the 1761-NET-DNI and that's not as popular as the other two." Rockwell: "We can do that. You can still use the good old 1761-CBL-PM02 cable that we've been selling for fourteen years to do RS232 connections. And the shell will be the same as all the other MicroLogix. But you're going to need a breakout box type connector to bring the RS485 pins out to screw connectors." Customers: "That sounds really easy and straightforward. What's the catch ?" Rockwell: "We're not going to put the pinout in the installation brochure or in the User Manual. You know the drill."

Heres the cable for DH485 1763_NC01_cable_pin_out__Answer_ID_34450.doc

I guess losing the power pins is a pretty good tradeoff for getting built-in DH485! The more I hear about the 1100, the more I like it. The next job I get that's small enough to use one, I'm going to try my hardest to get it spec'd in!

[Hi fellas... Just been using ML1100 today, and using all its features on the combo port. I love it its awsome. There is no risk whatever in making your own cable. The Pin-out of the cable for using it in RS232-mode is available right here at this site. There is no special cable made particularly for ML1100. The diagram shown is adequate. For using it on RS-485 I found the idea right here on MrPLC. There is no need to use that Net AIC+ card. the RS-485 signals A (or Data-) & B(Data+) are found on pins 8 and 1 respectively. The precautions to be used are.. to ensure that D-comm mode is diabled and you use a separate cable for using the RS-485 signals. However... The port in RS-232 mode is hardly useful, once you download the PLC's IP number. It is trivially simple to download an IP number and then use a crossed cable to directly hook up to your PC's ethernet port. If however you want to plug it into your LAN, ie. amidst you may use a straight cable. I could infact disconnect my PC's ethernet port and attach the PLC to my office network and have RS-Linx see it from anywhere else.. There is also a feature, which I have not fully understood that enables the PLC to Automatically allot itself an IP address using BOOTHCP protocol. Even more exciting is that a WEB-server is built in. Keep watching this space and you'll also love it. Ciao for Now, Enjoy folks.... Only too happy to reciprocate the favors I've found here.. Raj S. Iyer