theripley

Spectrum power cc

5 posts in this topic

Hi. I have been "googling" about connecting a Mitsubishi PLC to Siemen's SCADA platform - spectrum power cc. However, there is very limited (to almost zero) reference I can get my hands with. Has anybody have information whether I can connect a Q series Mitsubishi PLC to this SCADA platform? Thanks a lot.

Here's some details: 1.) Client has a existing SCADA - spectrum power cc integrated by a huge foreign technical team. They requested for some additional control on selected equipment - like scheduling of ON/OFF operation. However, the huge foreign technical team takes too long to respond. Usually takes 6 or more months before the project is finished. 2.) Hence, they contacted a local technical team to give them what they need - the equipment scheduling. 3.) We inspected and found out that the selected equipment were linked to the existing SCADA system - siemens through Modbus protocol. I don't do siemens, so I propose to: a. Disconnect the selected equipment to the existing SCADA. b. Use a PLC-HMI to control the scheduling. -------> Insert comment on the above solution<-------------- 4.) It end up, client wanted two options: a. Use Mitsubishi PLC-HMI and isolate the scheduling of the selected equipment. b. Use Mitsubishi PLC for control but HMI will be on the existing SCADA. 5.) Of course, my life would be easier if I propose a, however, I wanted to provide them both options. So, I contacted someone who does siemens. The siemens guy said he can do it. But, I cannot find any reference on google how it can be done. I am quiet skeptical about this siemes guy because it is the first time that I will be working with him. I am not quiet confident on his commitmment, and I might end up jeopardizing this whole deal. Again, can I connect Mitsubishi PLC to siemens spectrum power cc system? Please help. Thanks a lot.

Hi Theripley, You can ask your Siemens guy if he uses an OPC server to connect the Mitsubishi PLC to the Siemens Scada software. I know there are some OPC servers that can connect different brands. We used software from Kepware.com in the past with succes to connect Mitsubishi A-series PLC to Wizcon 9.4 and to Reliance 4.0 Scada software. Best regards, Theo V.

Theo V., Thanks for replying. What does an OPC server do? And why is it needed to connect to the power cc scada?

I'm not 100% sure what Siemens Scada use, but usually all major Scada and OPC (Scada usually have an internal or external OPC server) delivers driver packages for Mitsubishi PLC's (along with all other major PLC brands). However, cards for both ModbusRTU and ModbusTCP exists for the Q-series (along with ProfibusDP) so you should basically be convered. It looks to me by searching google that it supports at least these protocols, and if such is true I would strongly suggest ModbusTCP (can handle a lot more data than e.g. ProfibusDP). http://www.siemens.com.ar/sites/internet/uploads/ptd/presentaciones/iec61850%20und%20sicam.pdf http://www.energy.siemens.com/br/pool/br/automacao-controle/E50001-U310-A30-X-7600_WS_Netzleittechnik_EN.pdf