Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjb5x4

Available IO Database Solutions

6 posts in this topic

I work in a very large plant with tens of thousands of points of IO, my database for managing this is done through Microsoft Access and it isn't good to say the least. I am wondering what solutions others have used that have worked for similar applications. (I realize that part of the solution is dependent on the skill level of who puts it together) Right now my boss wants to create what would be hundreds of different excel sheets and I am just trying to figure out a way to pitch something along the lines of a SQL database, but it would help to have an example of something with good functionality for everyone from electrician/process engineer/programmers standpoint. Thanks for any suggestions/feedback you may provide!

I think it will depend on what PLCs you have. I generally use Omron and I can copy and paste I/O lists straight out of CX-Programmer into Excel, modify and copy straight back in. Excel would be my choice due to this ability.

I am dealing with Novatech D3 DCS (with Modicon/quantum io and 8000 io), and a combination of PLC5s SLC500s and Controllogix as well.

You should be able to use an Access database successfully to create a database of all your IO points. For an application like yours, the main difference with SQL would just mean that you need a custom built front end instead of being able to use the front end tools built into Access. I used to work with an integrator that had developed something like this in Access, except it was used for commissioning. It was pretty powerful. Each IO point was assigned to a control system, a process area, sub area, and device. It also had fields to let you know what page to find the io point/device on the electrical schematics and P&IDs.There was a bunch of fields for the commissioning process, and once all the fields were checked off (mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, DCS check, HMI check etc...) the point was considered commissioned. You could then pull reports of all the devices that are commissioned, not commissioned, or had marked deficiencies. The system was invaluable on large scale commissioning projects spanning multiple months. This is obviously more than you're looking for, but you could contact them and let them show you their system, maybe you could purchase a reworked/simplified design. See the link. http://www.autopro.ca/what-we-do/solutions/checkmate

The large scale commissioning is definitely something we are considering with whatever solution we come up with. I will take a look at this and see if its something we are interested in. Thanks for the response!

Greetings, This post isn't going to address your data base requirement, but rather a component that you will need to consider. If you are looking to incorporate an SQL database, you will need to consider the connection between your controllers and the database. For that you will want to look at Kepware's OPC server. You have made mention of Modicon and AB (2 driver suites) plus the need for ODBC, which would put your driver count at 3. Kepware has a product that incorporates all of their standard drivers into one vertical suite. I am providing you with several links to review. http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepserverex.htm http://www.eternity-sales.com/kepware/serverbundles-ms.htm http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/ODBC_Client_Driver_OPC_Server.htm There are other products that may be of interest, depending upon additional requirements. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post or email. Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Kepware Distributor