Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

Using PV+ as ControlNet gateway?

5 posts in this topic

Tomorrow I am updating a Panelview to a PV+ 6 (ControlNet) for a customer, and this is my first PV+ on ControlNet. The part I am concerned with is updating the ControlNet network and how I can browse it. If I am connected via Ethernet or Serial to the PV+, can I drill down to the ControlNet and rescan the network and download to the keeper (PLC-5)?

Definitely not; the RSLinx Enterprise communication drivers in the PV+ will not provide any sort of passthrough or bridging. You need a direct connection to the ControlNet network or a bridged connection through a ControlLogix backplane to perform any scheduling or network maintenance. In general, a PanelView Plus is only going to need to have its ControlNet node number set. It's going to get the basic ControlNet moderator data (Smax, Umax, NUT, etc) automatically and it will communicate with the PLC-5 over unscheduled messaging. I do not know if the PV+6 includes support for Scheduled connections on ControlNet. I don't think that it does, because the RIO and DeviceNet scheduled connection types were dropped from PV+6, but ControlNet might be the exception.

Good to know, thanks. Looking at their existing Controlnet file, there are several ControlLogix backplanes on the network, so I'll be OK there. What about setting the Input/Output settings under the I/O configuration of the ControlNet adapter in the Communication section of FTView? Edited by phuz

FWIW, you CAN use the PV+ 6 as a ControlNet gateway. I successfully connected to the PV+ with a patch cable and was able to drill out to the ControlNet network and browse and configure the entire ControlNet. It was great.

Wow, that's new ! It definitely didn't do that in v5. Thank you for the followup !