Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

cpm1a ethernet

3 posts in this topic

Is there a good way to have ethernet access to a omron cpm1a plc and be able to go online and troubleshoot? Have some equipment getting ready to go to Honduraus, and they have cpm1a plc's.

About the only thing I can think of would be to use a CPM1-CIF01 (Comm adapter) and the CPM2-ETI-L1 Digi One Real Port Serial to Ethernet Unit. This will basically allow you to set an IP address for the CPM1, CX-Programmer will connect to the Digi One device and translate the info serially to the CPM1. There are similar devices available. This one is configured to work with Omron PLC's. It has specific firmware to handle HostLink comm. Do not try to update the firmware in the unit, it will stop working. Omron has some in stock in Schaumburg. However, they cost more than the CPM1. Hope this will help.

Instead of buying specialized converters you could use a generic serial device server (converts ethernet to serial, use a special driver in the programming computer to interface it). Moxa does good stuff which I've used. The one I used was about $300, however it was a really flashy dual port one, with WLAN and all. A single port server with only Ethernet should be considerably cheaper.